• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The One That Got Away by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Today's Stack's Bowers auction had a number of very nice USA-Philippines coins including a 1905 NGC PF63 Peso that I was bidding on.

The 1905 Peso is a PROOF ONLY ISSUE with a mintage of only 471 coins making it the lowest mintage USA-Philippines Peso. The specimen that I was bidding on, Lot # 40716, had very attractive toning and was graded NGC PF63.

The Allen catalog price for a 1905 Peso in PF63 is $1100.00. Going into the auction my internet pre-bid of $900.00 ($1057.50 with buyer's premium) was the high bid so I thought that I had a reasonable chance of taking home this coin.

When the lot came up for live bidding I was nosed out by a floor bidder who bid $950.00 ($1116.25 with buyer's premium).

Too bad it would have been a nice addition to my collection.

The attached Photo is the Stack's Bowers auction catalog photo of the one that got away.

The 1905 Peso is a PROOF ONLY ISSUE with a mintage of only 471 coins making it the lowest mintage USA-Philippines Proof Peso. The specimen that I was bidding on, Lot # 40716, was pedegreed from the DEmarete Collection. graded NGC PF63 and had very attractive toning.

11896.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

I've recently lost out on a few coins in auction's I should have one.I feel your pain, especially on such a beautiful coin.

I'll confess and tell you one of them I just plain forgot to bid... doh! The real kick in the pants here was the coins had no interest and went for way less than bid, so at least you bid and were outbid...

Todd

Yes I am aware of Sundays Teletrade auction. Teletrades hype about offering the "Just Having Fun Philippine Collection" is very misleading as none of the coins from the "Just Having Fun" PCGS or NGC Registry sets are included in this offering. For those people who are not aware of the "Just Having Fun Collection" this collector has the top ranked PCGS registry set in every category of USA/Philippines coins. He also has the third ranked NGC USA/Philippines Type Set. I would be really excited if the coins from those Registry Sets were being offered. Sundays offering has a few nice coins especially the superb gem Spanish colonial coins but the USA/Philippine coins are definately dupulicates not the Top Pop coins in the "Just Having Fun" Registry Sets. There are a few USA/Philippines coins that I am interested in if I can purchase them for a reasonable price so I will be following the auction and will see what happens.