• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone got $10,000,000?

15 posts in this topic

Just learned that the King of Siam set is up for sale. Since it isn't encapsulated by a TPG, I just don't know HOW it could be worth much wink.gif, but have a looksie: King of Siam

I think the write-up is poor and the set is badly displayed on the web site, but I don't suppose that matters to a potential buyer of this set.

Hoot

The images show the coins raw, but the writeup indicates that each has a PCGS designated grade. So, do you think they had the coins slabbed or are these grades the grades that PCGS would give them should they decide to slab them? If it is the latter, I'd be wary that someone might switch them to get a cheap upgrade! shocked.gifinsane.gif

Seriously though, this is a fantastic set that looks way cool.

The coins are all in PCGS slabs. Or I should say currently in PCGS slabs. This set has bounced back and forth between grading services a couple of times.

You must have missed the laughable press release. Legendary ''King of Siam'' Proof Set in PCGS Holders For Increased Value

This version of the set is a "put together" set. They added the missing coin and the possible missing medal.

I was lucky enough to examine this set at Long Beach MANY years ago. Nothing like holding a $2 million (at the time) set of coins. cloud9.gif

Yes, what a crappy write up and feature. Something for $10 million should get a bit more detail don't you think? And what, no discount for being slabbed PCGS? What is this world coming to? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Greg - I did miss the PCGS release. I LOVE it!

PCGS: "Legendary ''King of Siam'' Proof Set in PCGS Holders For Increased Value

- June 18, 2004" 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'd truly like to know how ANY slab adds value to these coins! 893frustrated.gif

"We believe the certification of these coins by PCGS - the most recognized authority in the market -- is important now and to the eventual new owner of the most prestigious and historically important rare coin set. And, frankly, I believe the reputation of the PCGS 'brand' enhances the marketplace value of these coins, both now and in the future," said Larry Goldberg, co-owner of Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, Inc. of Beverly Hills, California.

So now PCGS is "branding" coins! 893whatthe.gif I simply cannot laugh loud enough. laugh.gif What a stupid statement. makepoint.gif Those coins could be in Coin World slabs and would sell for what they are right now. I always thought Goldberg was a numismatist, but I guess I was wrong.

juggle.gif Hoot

The press release smells really bad. I'd guess that in return for allowing PCGS to slab these coins, Goldberg was probably given submission credits. Smells too much like a bought endorsement.

To me this shows the sad state the hobby is in if somehow these coins "mean" more if they are entombed in some stupid TPG holder. I mean, what is the POINT? We all know they are authentic and since they are rather RARE coins who cares what the damn grade is?

The importance of GRADING has gotten to the point of absurdity in the market. When the condition of the coin becomes the "know all, tell all" of all things in coin collecting then I think the something has gone terribly wrong with the hobby.

jom

What do you bet these end up in a registry set at PCGS??? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

popcorn.gif

I've got to agree that something stinks to high heaven over this. sumo.gif

I still want to know what insufficiently_thoughtful_person wrote the press release...

Hoot

I still want to know what insufficiently_thoughtful_person wrote the press release...

It doesn't matter who WROTE the press release. All that matter is who RELEASED it to the public. We know what site it came from and that is about all you need to know to find your alleged "insufficiently_thoughtful_person". 27_laughing.gif

jom

Look, it's all about $. Larry Goldberg is going to make a nice chunk of change when he sells these coins. Of course he's going to say anything (short of something which would get him in trouble) that he thinks will help him to get his commission check on these coins.

I don't see what's the big deal here. He'd be hyping these coins irrespective of which TPG slabbed them.

I don't see what's the big deal here. He'd be hyping these coins irrespective of which TPG slabbed them.

Well I reckon that you hid the "big deal" on the head. makepoint.gif These coins don't need a TPG to declare their grades to the world. Among the numismatists that are familiar with them, I'm sure there is a consensus of their grades. And that also goes for the time being, no matter what PCGS has deemed their grades. So, the hype of Goldberg's statement (see my second post) is in bad taste. Nobody selling these coins should have to act in bad taste. That's a choice, and it reeks of "deal" with PCGS, as Greg suggested.

Hoot

Smells too much like a bought endorsement.

Lets not go there. wink.gif

What I find interesting is how NGC and PCGS have both graded these coins 2 times and in each case the grades were exactly the same. And there has been some serious gradeflation on some coins over the past 15 years.

What I find interesting is how NGC and PCGS have both graded these coins 2 times and in each case the grades were exactly the same. And there has been some serious gradeflation on some coins over the past 15 years.

confused.gif

The grades have changed over the years. The $ has gone up at least 2 grades. One of the copper coins magically became more red. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I remember when the coins were crossed the first time. I think a couple upgraded then.

confused.gif

The grades have changed over the years. The $ has gone up at least 2 grades. One of the copper coins magically became more red. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I remember when the coins were crossed the first time. I think a couple upgraded then.

Greg, what I meant is that both NGC and PCGS agreed on the grade. I thought that never happened shocked.gif

Greg, what I meant is that both NGC and PCGS agreed on the grade. I thought that never happened shocked.gif

Probably because the coins are maxed out. I'm also sure that the owner would not cross the coins were one of them to be downgraded. We all know had this been a real crossover, at best only 2 of the coins would have crossed.