• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New adition just received from Scotsman Auction posted by RichH

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just received 3 cent silver in mail- trime time !

I just recived this lovely MS63 1860 3 cent silver, and added this "trime" to my 19th century type set. From 1860 - 1873 the star has two outlines, this particular coin being very well struck. What really stands out is the thick navy-blue and grey patina exhibited on both sides, simply a wonderful, original coin. The 3CS's are the smallest US coins, with the Type 3's at only .75 grams, by comparison a silver 1964 dime is 2.5 grams. With such a small coin you find lots of neat die clashing with this series. Although the series was issued 1851 to 1873, after 1862 pruduction fell way down, and mint specimans are tough to find. Happy collecting !

11838.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Much smaller, trimes are 14mm in diameter, weigh .75 grams, 3 cent nickels are 17.9mm, 1.94 grams. Also, after the 3CS, the half dime at 15.5 mm and 1.34 grams "takes the silver" as the 2nd smallest coin minted. I also collect the half dimes as Gobrecht's design is classic, and the series has great clashing and varieties to collect.

I have one with a dent that is slightly bent and only fetches a details grade, I will definitely be upgrading that. Very nice Trime, congratulations.

Gary

Thanks for the info Rich. I got a trade next week for a bag of coins and was told one was a small silver coin with a 3 on one side and a starfish on the other. I almost rolled on the floor laughing.

Later----Rick