• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1836 Cent - I'm open to any suggestions.

5 posts in this topic

I just bought this one, cheap. I know, it has a bunch of gunk on the cheek and in the crevises. I'm really bothered by the area around the 18 in the date. It looks like someone dripped something on it, and it has started to corrode. I know that an acetone bath followed by a careful application of blue ribbon will do wonders to make this coin look better, but I wonder what, if anything, can be done to "fix" that problem.

128673.jpg.be4b96611a72a33b661036a5c2f3b017.jpg

128674.jpg.f4d86956a15b4497fb9dc8785b835ce6.jpg

I prefer my Blue Ribbon on first, then acetone, leaving the surfaces dry. If you want to leave the BR on, many do, but I don't dig the glossy look. BR it self may help stabilize the area, but you could also try applying some distilled water and letting it soak a bit to loosen any gunk that's only on the surfaces.

Well, this coin finally arrived and needless to say, it looks alot different than the scans the seller had in his listing. The sellers scans showed a light caramel color to the coin, but they had a grey background. I knew the background should be white, so I color adjusted it. The actual coin is alot darker brown.

I removed the soft gunk from the coin's surface without damage by using a method recommended by EAC. I used a tightly packed 5/8" diameter natural bristle paint brush. I make contact with the surface and without letting the bristle tips move on the surface, swirl the brush handle around in a circlar motion both directions . The short bristles just flex around and gently work their way into the cracks and crevices loosening up the gunk. Stubborn gunk can be carefully picked away with a rose thorn if needed.

Here's what the coin actually looks like now.

128764.jpg.69046a708da0cb893c112018aab9398e.jpg

128765.jpg.15c989c844f7b97da426900523516ca6.jpg