• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this be cameo under pretty toning

14 posts in this topic

Crack that sucker out and give it a good dip. If the cameo comes out you can send it back in for an upgrade! 893frustrated.gif

That's a great looking coin (and I don't even like Morgans). thumbsup2.gif

Are we calling frosty Mint State Morgan dollars cameo? I have heard some folks use that term for very frosty proof like dollars but am not clear on how frosty a Morgan needs to be to be called cameo.

It looks like a great coin regardless of what you call it wink.gif

This is one of the more beautiful and desirable common-date MS-64s I've ever seen. I mostly collect brilliant white Morgans, but every now and then a toned piece knocks my socks off -- and this is one.

Thanks all. ziggy29 this sounds a little like bragging but , this coin is really prettier than this scan. It took three trys to get this graded. It was bb each time for Qt.

I bought this coin and two others from a old golfer I met on the golf course. We started talking coins and he told me about a bunch of mirrored dollars he had put away years (25) before in the attic in kraft envolopes. he was major bummed when he came the next week to golf and showed me three mirrored coins that were damaged due to tarnish. He could not believe I wanted them and would pay extra for them. I'm still hopping to get a look at the rest of that collection.

TD

On a second thought! When a coin has toned, the surfaces have gone through a change and to a certain degree, it's unreversable! So calling such a coin cameo which has toned over may not be the case. A coin could be dipped but something is lost giving the coin a somewhat dull luster. And the frosting would lose something as well.

Leo

It certainly looks like a possible cameo to me but the toning is gorgeous. So, cameo or not, I'd leave it be. Very sweet!