• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First NGC Grading Experience

16 posts in this topic

Decided to crossover a couple of coins to get some use out of those freebie coupons.

First up, a really well-struck and PQ 1921 Peace Dollar in PCGS MS-64, now resides in a NGC MS-64 holder. Really nice lightly toned in a gold color that looks 100% better in the white holder.

Second up, 1951-D Washington-Carver in ANACS MS-65, now residing in a NGC MS-64 holder. Didn't care about the grade shift, I bought the coin for the rainbow colors on the rims.

Lastly, an 1875 Seated Dime in PCGS MS-62, old rattler holder. NGC did not cross this one, with a note that the obverse has some staining and appears artificially toned. Thought that was a VERY conservative stance to take with the coin, but I'm not going to argue.

Turnaround times as advertised, and quick, speedy service. Overall, very satisfied with the results.

I thought NGC wouldn't cross at a lower grade unless you told them it is ok? Why did you let them? Didn't it hurt the value of your coin?

I just today sent in a PCGS MS 63 1878 CC Morgan that I hope upgrades to a 64. I really think it has a shot. We'll just have to see.

Gunsmoke,

NGC will let you specify a minimum grade on the form (within reason). The WC was the only one that I specified a lower grade. Even though I paid MS-65 money for the piece, I did not feel that the piece was necessarily solid for the grade, but that the eye appeal of the piece made up for it.

I am sitting on a bunch of PCGS-MS62 Gold that I believe was under graded. I am going to move into a new house at the end of this month. I will wait though until I am situated and am getting mail regularly before I start submitting these certified coins. I am very curious about the outcome of this trial. I will keep you posted on how I fare with these coins.

Reverse of the Carver commem, pretty typical, although there is some rainbowing at the rims trying to peek through. Not sure if the coin stayed in the album too long or not long enough.

90822-wc_r.JPG.335d6c769316198c9c5bc3e2261080a8.JPG

This is a flat-on pass with the scanner, and captures the top obverse rim. The rainbowing is all the way around the rim, but at this angle, the lower rims looks dark.

90823-wc_o.JPG.090cee178298a502ce0a5b66ca12af6c.JPG

If the black splotched on the Carver are hiding the luster, that's what held the coin back at NGC. NGC has been very tough, on my coins, with assigning a gem grade when there is black toning that restricts luster. I would say your coin was left in the holder, toning, for too long.

The Peace Dollar looks sweet. The obverse doesn't seem very marked at all (especially on her cheek), and the toning is pleasant. Congratulations!