• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on another 1802 Draped Bust Half??

18 posts in this topic

I found this in a box of miscellaneous coins purchased at an estate sale....A local coin dealer with 53 years experience says it authentic....I listed it for sale on eBay and someone messaged me that I'd better pull the listing because it's a "cast counterfeit"....So, can I get some opinions here? Or should I just send it in for authentication? Thanks

(This is my first post...I hope the pictures uploaded correctly)

128553.jpg.38df98ce6f6b4404349cfd1b83adf007.jpg

128554.jpg.f1b1ec2f656706d6650c7bb5897ecffc.jpg

Yep, modern fake. Accidentally transferred an 1806 reverse to make their new die. (Well, I suppose, not really "accidentally," just used a common coin of type.)

Yup counterfeit, it might be good to read some books on the coin series your gonna go after and go look at some slabbed ones for grade comparison. Also if you can go to a coin shop and ask to look at some raw coins not stapled in flips, just to get the feel of a real coin. I hope your not losing to much in tuition in the hobby.

Thanks tenacious....It sounds like a normal silver coin when it's rolled around on a glass top table...I suppose a trained ear could tell the difference...But I do see the different year's reverse now (1806?)..Didn't notice it before

It's absolutely counterfeit and the local dealer should be ashamed for telling you otherwise. The reverse of this piece was only used in 1806! FAKE!!!

OK...so you took the suspect coin to a dealer in used car tires. He'd been in the business for 53,000 years and it looked OK to him. Now you're not sure about the coin....but you got new used tires....

Seriously - as the seller, it is your responsibility to make sure the coins you offer for sale are genuine and unaltered. This has to be done before you offer to sell a coin, not after.

With this fake, you've learned that you do not understand the basics of coin authentication. If you take one of the ANA counterfeit detection courses, you can correct that deficiency.

That is correct RWB...I do not understand, which is why I took it to a coin dealer with 53 years of experience....I really figured his opinion was good, considering he's been in the business longer than I've been alive....I received this opinion before I offered the coin for sale, not after....If I understood the basics of coin authentication, I wouldn't have created this post...No need to be so pious....Thanks so much to all the other posters for your help in this matter...You saved me some embarrassment to say the least

No one is being "pious." The coin is your responsibility; you've learned from the experience; one hopes you'll take some ANA classes so you can avoid this in the future.

There are also a lot of books with good photos of real coins. Comparing your coin with even the most basic Guide Book, could have shown you that your coin was a fake.

I found this in a box of miscellaneous coins purchased at an estate sale....A local coin dealer with 53 years experience says it authentic....I listed it for sale on eBay and someone messaged me that I'd better pull the listing because it's a "cast counterfeit"....So, can I get some opinions here? Or should I just send it in for authentication? Thanks

(This is my first post...I hope the pictures uploaded correctly)

The bust of an 1802-1805 half is very different than an 1806-1807. This is definitely a counterfiet made from of the 1806 O-109, no stem through claw, die variety.