• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1976 P Clad Type II Eisenhower

7 posts in this topic

MS66 just arrived

Howdy Friends,

Researching my family tree is one of my favorite hobbies, next to coins of course. When I come across new information that I can attribute to a coin it's always a rush and today I found an interesting tidbit researching the Son's of the American Revolution (SAR) memberships in my family tree. I have a custom set called "My Heritage Set" that consists of coins I have dedicated to ancestors by date and or theme, so whenever I acquire a new coin that can be attributed in this way I get excited. You may remember a 2007 Jamestown commemorative I dedicated to my Mayflower Planter ancestor Stephen Hopkins earlier this year or the 2012 Star Spangled Banner commemorative for ancestors identified with SAR memberships or listed in Revolutionary War Pension Rolls.

I am very happy to dedicate a 1976 P Clad Type II MS66 Eisenhower Bicentennial dollar to my 5x Great Grand Father Joseph Robbins. The following is his letter in support of a claim for revolutionary pension which I will also use as the dedication for this coin;

Autobiography of Joseph Robbins, Soldier of the American Army in the Revolution, the original of which is in the possession of J.H. Robbins, 10 Thompson Street, Concord, New Hampshire

A few remarks of the life, bringing up and adventures of Joseph Robbins:

I was born in Kingston, in Plymouth County in the state of Massachusetts, in the year of our lord 1757. I served my time as the apprentice to Nathaniel Wilder for the blacksmith trade, in Middlebury County, state of, aforesaid.

When I was between 17 and 18 years of age, I enlisted the first day of May, 1775 in Middlebury, where I then resided, as a private soldier to the American Army in the Revolutionary War, for the first eight months service in Captain Isaac Woods Company, under Colonel Cotton, General Thomas' Brigade. I marched from Middlebury to Roxbury, where I served my time out in the siege of Boston.

Soon after this I enlisted in the same company but under colonel unknown's command, in General Heath's Brigade for the term of one year in 1776 and marched with the army to New York. Enlisted in the Army and went on one campaign with General Sullivan, up in the wilderness in the back country, to fight the Indians.

I cannot remember my captain's name, nor my colonel's name. I think my captain's name was Churchill. While in New York, I spent considerable time at my trade as an artificer. On the 25th of December, 1776, I took part in the capture of the Hessian's at Trenton.

My time of service ended January 1st, 1777. Then I volunteered anew for six weeks longer and followed General Washington in to the field of battle at Princeton. I remained with the army until my six weeks had expired, and then was discharged and came home, where I remained until 1779 then I......

SERVINGS.

Eight months at Roxbury

Twelve months at New York and thereabouts

One and a half month, volunteered

Six Months in General Sullivan's Army

Twenty seven months and twelve days I claim a pension for.

COPY,

War Department, Revolutionary Claim;

I certify that in conformity of the law of the United States, of the 7th June, 1832, Joseph Robbins of Nova Scotia, who was a private in the war of the revolution is entitled to receive, eight dollars and no cents per annum, during his natural life, Commencing on the 4th day of March, 1831 and paid semi-annually, on the 4th of March and the 4th of September, in every year

Given at the War Office of the United States,

the 9th day of January, 1838

Signed,

J.Y. Poinsett, Secretary of War

SEAL-Examined and countersigned

J.L. Edwards, Commissioner of Pensions

*Payment is to be made at Boston, by Wm Freeman, Esq., acting agent for paying pensioners in the agency of Massachusetts. Recorded in the Pensions Office. Book E, Vol. 2, Pg. 74, by D.D. Addison, Clerk.

I always hoped that someday my research would identify a record of an ancestor that served during the revolution but this record is just amazing, citing service during the siege of Boston, in the wilderness against the Indians with Sullivan, against the Hessian's at Trenton and with Washington at Princeton...amazing find, just a precious as the coin!

until next time friend,

Merlin8*

11803.jpg

See more journals by Merlin8*

Absolutely amazing genealogical find. I too am interested in both genealogy and coins. We have about 1800 family members in our family tree taken from my wife's grandmother's DAR record and much research on my family.

Excellent!

Michael

Michael,

Thanks, I almost fell of my chair when I found this reccord. It was attached to a application for SAR membership I found in The Hawaiian Society of the U.S. Son's of the American Revolution application log for 1895, I wonder what the odds are that I would stumbled upon it!!

the coin is no slouch either only 3 graded higher in MS67

Best of luck in your research,

Larry