• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I added something really cool to my commem collection!

7 posts in this topic

I picked this up off of eBay a few days ago, and it came in today’s mail. It is an 1893 World's Columbian Expo Medal. It is in an NGC holder graded MS-66. It is about the size of a silver dollar and I think it is made of brass, but I don't really know too much about it. The label has the following info on it; 1893 IL HK-154; T-2 SC$1 World's Columbian Expo Medal MS-66. The seller said that they talked to NGC about this medal, and NGC told them that they could only remember grading one other piece this high, and none higher.

526909-1893%20columbian%20expo%20medal%20obv.jpg526912-1893%20columbian%20expo%20medal%20rev.jpg

I remember that there was a post awhile back about Columbian Expo Medals that I think was made by Hoot, and I thought that they would be a very cool addition to my early silver commem set, so when I saw this listed on eBay I jumped on it.

I have tried to find more info on these medals by doing a search on yahoo, but I haven’t been able to find any real info. If anyone can tell me more about these medals I would appreciate it.

Thanks

John

Hi John - Yes, that's a brass medal and that is a VERY high grade piece. Most were handled with lots of fingers and have have developed a nice bron and uneven patination by now. That piece is a killer. There are MANY more medals and exonumia out there regarding the expo. Congratulations!

Hoot

Now that has killer eye appeal! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot, was your thread about the Columbian Exposition tickets? By the way, Hoot, I notice you have beat me to just about every thread today, will you stop pre-emptively stalking me! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Hoot, was your thread about the Columbian Exposition tickets? By the way, Hoot, I notice you have beat me to just about every thread today, will you stop pre-emptively stalking me! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

It's what boredom mixed with obsession will do to a person. insane.giftonofbricks.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

Thanks for the replies Hoot & Tom. I really like this medal. It does have wonderful eye appeal, and has a number of interesting die cracks on the reverse that basically run through, and encircle the letters of the words that surround the inner, central words. Boy, I hope that makes sense. foreheadslap.gif

Anyway, I had hoped that someone would have been able to direct me to a source of information on the Columbian Expo medals, but I guess that is not the case, so my quest for knowledge continues down what appears to be a lonely path. grin.gif

John

You may want to try calling Stack's or looking on their web site as they had a lot of about 40 Columbian Exposition medals for sale in their sale of the Western Reserve Historical Society. If you find anything useful, you have my address to send me that "thank you" medal that you posted above! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Thanks for the info Tom, I'll check it out. As for the medal, you'll get to see it first hand the next time we get together. thumbsup2.gif

John