• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1628-58 India Rupee Mughal Empire KM-235.23 posted by DJStevenson

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Can someone tell me if this coin is really damaged or was a tool used to get it out or another story

Can anyone tell me something about this coin. If it is really damaged? What are the markings on the side?

This is the oldest coin in my collection and I know very little about it. I bought it in Kuwait. The man said he had it in his family for over 350 years. I haggle him for it for three days. I told him it would stay in my family for as long as it was in his.

I found a website to confirm what it was.

http://www215.pair.com/sacoins/public_html/mughal/mughal_20_sha.html

Thanks

11773.jpg

See more journals by DJStevenson

Very cool coin. Your specimen appears to be much nicer than the example on the web site. I wouldn't be upset about the details grading. In my opinion the countermarked only adds additional historical value to a very nice coin. You might want to check with the ANA library to see if they can help you identify the countermark. If it is a rare countermark you may find that your countermarked coin is more valuable than the same coin without a countermark. It is certainly more interesting.

Darron, Nice looker and cool marks on the rim. Let me know what you find out about the marks and who's they are. Love those edge view holders.

By the way-----I added a couple more to that special set of ours. Check them out later.

Rick