• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1989 1/2 Ounce American Eagle Gold Coin

10 posts in this topic

I have someone who wants to trade me this 1989 1/2 Ounce American Eagle. This coin is a BU Proof, with COA. I'm having some trouble putting an exact value on it, as I've seen these coins sell for anywhere from $800 to $2000.

I'd love to get some opinions on this particular coin. Any comments on potential value and grade would be much appreciated. Thanks.

7O3fq.jpg

itSUz.jpg

nxKhe.jpg

It's a proof, not a "BU Proof". BU (brilliant uncirculated) and proof are two different methods of manufacture. A coin cannot be both BU and proof. A search of completed ebay sales would be the best method, by far, to tell you what these sell for in the market.

Thanks for clarifying that Tom.

I've seen most eBay auctions going in the $900 range but there are a few with higher BIN prices, usually graded coins. If I were to get the coin graded, how would it affect retail value? Assuming the coin scores 68, 69 or 70...

Here's an example of a graded one with a BIN at $1,500: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170881568045&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=12875651467

The linked coin is a unc (MS) piece. Yours is a proof.

As a general rule, you need a 70 grade to justify the cost of certification and this coin is no exception.

P.S. That BIN price is nuts.

These are bringing about $900 retail recently. No way to grade these from pics. Nearly all will go 68, 69, or 70.

To put a fine point on it, this is not an offer to buy, but today at this moment, I'd give you $890 for it. So yeah, $900 is an excellent estimate.

Incidentally, we sell them today, at this moment, for $926. That's right, a measly 4% profit.

These are bringing about $900 retail recently. No way to grade these from pics. Nearly all will go 68, 69, or 70.

To put a fine point on it, this is not an offer to buy, but today at this moment, I'd give you $890 for it. So yeah, $900 is an excellent estimate.

Incidentally, we sell them today, at this moment, for $926. That's right, a measly 4% profit.

You think that is bad... try a 100oz Silver bar... I bought one today and made 50 cents over what I paid for a customer... sooo Spend 2780 to make a total of 2830.. Minus gas, time, etc... make way less than 50 bucks!