• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help from World Collectors

4 posts in this topic

... because I am stumped!

Many years ago, I received some coins from my mother-in-law. I was very busy at the time, and put them away for safe keeping. Today, I dragged them out to bring the ancients to a coin show for see if they were actually real Roman coins. They are genuine, but that is not what I'm speaking of today.

In that batch were several old coins, most of which are silver from the late 1800s to early 1900s. The only coin I cannot identify is this one. Seems to be in Arabic -script, and is about the size of a Morgan dollar. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction... a clue to its nationality, etc.? Any help would be appreciated!

11768.jpg

See more journals by SPHansen

Found something!

Early Ottoman Empire, Turkey... found one that is very close, but not exact.

UPDATE:

Found much more info.. still don't know what metal it is...

OTTOMAN SULTAN SELIM COIN FROM AH 1203.

SELIM III (DECEMBER 24, 1761 - JULY 28/29, 1808) WAS THE SULTAN OF THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE FROM 1789 TO 1807. HE WAS A SON OF MUSTAFA III (1757 - 1774) AND SUCCEEDED HIS UNCLE ABDULHAMID I (1774 - 1789). HE WAS BORN IN CONSTANTINOPLE. HIS MOTHER WAS VALIDE SULTAN MIHR - II SHAH. HIS ATTEMPTS TO REFORM THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE ENDED WITH HIS ASSASSINATION.

It is indeed a YUZLUK... I was able to find images of these. Unable to pinpoint the exact year, but it isn't years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11 or 14

Thank you so much for that info... :banana:

S