• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First GSA Softpack Morgan is back by John M. Robinson II

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Finally received my 1887-O Morgan back from NGC.

To remind readers, I came across this GSA Morgan by accident a few months back when the Seller at a consignment shop, thinking it was a poor conditions Morgan, sold it to me for a few dollars over spot. I received the blue envelope, COA and unopened plastic coin pouch for $32.00.

I submitted the coin to NGC for an array of reasons. The first, just to experience the process of submitting a GSA softpack. Another reason is to ensure the coin is correctly protected for future value. For those who did not know. NGC places the entire plastic pouch, unopened, into a more stiffer holder and then lables and then seal the new holder around the original pouch.

The final grade for my GSA softpack 1887-O Morgan, is AU-55. Holder #4143879-001. I am pleased with that grade. I can now use this graded coin and compare it to the other raw Morgans that I have in my collection. I punched in my serial number in the the NGC verification site and found a few interesting things.

They posted the information but, not an image. Possibly, it is too early and uploading images do take extra time. I did notice, however, that the FMV is posted in red, which inicates that this FMV is a -- comparible -- FMV, based on similar like coins. I do not understand what that means but, at least the coin does have a FMV.

My Morgan may not shine as a MS-70PL but, she is mine and she has a nice home with me.

Have fun in your adventure. . .

Semper Fi !

Jack

Here is the Obverse of the GSA softpack 1887-O Morgan:

11767.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

John, The 1887-O looks great in AU55 with it's full skin tone. Much nicer than a shiny MS63 that looks like it went through a rigorous beating. This morgan has very gentle/smooth looking facial features. The red FMV price is that of a regular non-GSA morgan. The price is in red since there is no real price for the soft pac as it is worth more.

Nice Pic,

Rick

Nice Morgan, I'm glad you went with the soft-pack certification. Those GSA holders represent a significant part of collecting history. I'm glad that NGC certifies them intact rather then cracking them out and reholdering them, and in the process ruining a significant part of numismatic history. I am proud to own six NGC certified GSA holder Morgans. All the best.

Gary

Looks great and I'm happy ngc kept it intact. When I get a cc morgans, its going to be in the original gsa box or slabbed by ngc intact in the box.