• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reeded Edge on eBay

42 posts in this topic

Looks like an XF details cleaned to me. Toning appears to be reasonable secondary toning, a little too pastel-y for my tastes. Buy it like you would a raw coin in VF.

Cleaned, retoned EF. Lots of nice luster, but rim damage at the date kills it.

Sometimes the stuff to create the layer of AT can look like luster. I used to see this back in the 1980s before there were a lot of slabs available.

I don't have a problem with it. Can't say with confidence it would cross to PCGS, but I've had more luck crossing from ICG than NGC.

I expect that virtually all 200 year old coins have been cleaned at some point. I can forgive a dip that isn't overdone, killing luster. Looks like album toning. Maybe accelerated, dunno.

I suspect that the toning is over-emphasized by photography. The ding is unfortunate but not severe.

Lance.

The rim ding is in a bad place, below the date, which is hard to miss. Dings like scratches are like land ... location, location, location.

As a veteran type collector I can tell you that the 1837 Reeded Edge half is a lot easier to find than 1838 and 1839 coins. They also often are found in EF or better condition for whatever reason. So there should no rush to run out and buy this one, especially at that price.

I think it is a retone after a dip and or cleaning.

I agree with this and would add it looks harshly cleaned under there. Unlikely to end up in a NGC or PCGS holder looking like that.

Good point about the cleaning. I didn't notice until you mentioned it...I see a possibility on the obverse. We'd need to see it in hand to be sure of course.

jom

JOM,

I noticed that the coin sold - and yes, without having the coin in hand, it's

difficult to see if its been cleaned in the past. I am a big fan of bulls-eye toning

although I don't remember the sequential progression of the correct colors.

[ This was brought up in our ANA Intermediate Grading Class last month ].

I guess it was "TMI" and I didn't take notes that day I guess.

The company - "Reeded Edge" - recently sent me a couple of AU 55

Barber Dimes - and I was very happy with their service. So, I can not

fault them at all - the delivery was quick and they included a bonus gift

[which I will regift to Broadstruck, Jr. ]

The Reeded Edge has since listed another RE Half - and if you didn't like

the last one - I know you'll hate this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1837-Capped-Bust-Half-Dollar-Reeded-Edge-50-CENTS-AU-50-ICG-STUNNING-/110921294776?_trksid=p4340.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D928056186538940080%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D1%26

Seems that ICG has lost almost all it's credibility that it once had.

So that is "The Reeded Edge" is it? I didn't know that was the seller. I bought a couple of coins from them at the Long Beach show some years ago. I don't remember the guy's name who ran the company but he seemed decent enough.

ICG has lost a lot of credit so if these coins were legit what not send into PCGS or NGC? hm

jom

I don't think that is 'The Reeded Edge' -

but rather reference to the 2 half dollars that have sold

- the seller has gotten dinged pretty bad feedbackwise selling original bank wrapped rolls with awesome ends with stuff like quarter eagles.

I don't think that is 'The Reeded Edge' -

I didn't either but Mike implied that in his post... hm

jom