• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificial Toning

51 posts in this topic

I was looking on ebay at some silver and saw some really beautiful toned coins, I contacted one he said he uses electricity, another in his listing said he uses heat. How many sell older coins that may be actually valuable and don't disclose this fact? I know some people look for toned. Is this widespread?

Once you collect for long enough, you will be able to instantly ascertain the obviously AT'ed coins.

There are, however, methods of AT'ing coins which are impossible to detect to the most astute numismatists.

With regards to ebay, if a single seller has a wide variety of raw AT coins that have a similar toning pattern or color set, you will become suspicious.

Many people buy coins for their beauty

Another thread I started

asking about color

and what you would pay

a silver half dollar has roughly $10 in silver value today

the coin linked sold for about 75times silver value with bp and shipping

a few said they would be willing to buy it for $100

which is still 10 times silver value or 200 times face

a quick search on ebay for toned silver eagles, real pretty stuff, what got me wondering was how they turned so fast

These can turn rather quickly ( nicely and ugly) when exposed to the right elements without the aid of doctoring. They are not my thing but I can see why people collect them.

MJ

There are, however, methods of AT'ing coins which are impossible to detect to the most astute numismatists.

Examples please. MJ

These can turn rather quickly ( nicely and ugly) when exposed to the right elements without the aid of doctoring. They are not my thing but I can see why people collect them.

I'm curious: What "right elements" might this be?

I'm still not convinced these later date Eagles haven't been toyed with...and I mean the one certified by the legit TPGs (PCGS and NGC).

JMO though...

jom

I'm curious: What "right elements" might this be?

jom

Windowsill, on top of the water heater, stuff like that. Certain atmospheric conditions that have been discussed. I've had a couple turn from just laying on carpeting that covers a shelf in my safe after just tossing them in ( they are ugly).

MJ

hm Maybe I should reconsider where I place my Dansco holders.

lol

jom

I read somewhere about throwing coins on top of the water heater. After Summer ANA classes (John Albanese passed out 1964 quarters in his class) I tossed one the water heater in by basement out of curiosity. All it did was get hot :grin:

MJ

lol

jom

I read somewhere about throwing coins on top of the water heater. After Summer ANA classes (John Albanese passed out 1964 quarters in his class) I tossed one the water heater in by basement out of curiosity. All it did was get hot :grin:

MJ

With my luck the Dansco holders would catch fire. I wonder if I could get a "Full Torch" designation from PCGS... :devil:

jom

lol

jom

MJ

With my luck the Dansco holders would catch fire. I wonder if I could get a "Full Torch" designation from PCGS... :devil:

jom

For sure that would happen to me. 100% sure. MJ

I'm not defending, he says in his posting he tones them, others do too, it just makes me wonder how many tone them then pass off as natural.

it just makes me wonder how many tone them then pass off as natural.

None that look like that at least to the intuited. MJ

MJ,

Repeat your experiment using a sulfur-laden napkin (e.g., brown one from Taco Bell), and place a cup of water nearby to provide plenty of water vapor. The result could be very different.

Some years ago, I recall seeing a picture of a room in a house---it was lined with shelves full of coins in old coin albums (Wayte Raymond, as I recall), each one standing up and cracked open. There was a heater and humidifier placed in the room as well. I think it very inadvisable to pay for most types of album toning, because it's too easy to produce. If you are paying for toning, look at LOTS of coins before buying one. The real lookers do bring substantial toning premiums, and remember that the basal grade of the coin frequently is of lesser importance than the colors.

MJ,

Repeat your experiment using a sulfur-laden napkin (e.g., brown one from Taco Bell), and place a cup of water nearby to provide plenty of water vapor. The result could be very different.

That sounds like too much work! My curiosity was satisfied. MJ

That sounds like too much work! MJ

I don't know...a Chalupa sounds pretty good right now. hm

jom

I think the difference is "natural" and "juiced", and I would hope for the most part, the people here have no interest in something that would bring discredit to the hobby or business.

There's no such thing as "artificial toning". Rather, there are coins that are properly toned, and some that are improperly toned.

Could you please share your explantion for why there can not be artificial toning?

Could you also kindly describe a properly toned (this would indicate to me that human acts were done properly) coin and improperly toned(this would indicate to me that there is a correct method for human intervention of toning and it is acceptable in numismatics) coin?

I think I know what you are trying to convey, however, the wording is confusing.

We can, of course, skip the famous taco bell experiment.

Thank You.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Your not gonna make much money of the taco bell napkin toning.

I don't want to confuse-I am referring to the Thread ATS some years ago re. the taco bell napkin, because I thought James would be familiar with that incident and the nuance of my questions on this Thread, and I am very interested in his thoughts concerning his comments here.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

There's no such thing as "artificial toning". Rather, there are coins that are properly toned, and some that are improperly toned.

Could you please share your explantion for why there can not be artificial toning?

Could you also kindly describe a properly toned (this would indicate to me that human acts were done properly) coin and improperly toned(this would indicate to me that there is a correct method for human intervention of toning and it is acceptable in numismatics) coin?

It's the same as cleaning a coin, except for some unknown reason, someone decided to attach "artificial" to the word "toning", probably to make himself sound clever.

Is there any such thing as "artificial cleaning"? Of course not! There is "improper cleaning", and there is "proper cleaning", and determining which is which is a subjective matter.

The same is true of toning, a coin is either properly toned, or it is improperly toned (or of course, it is not toned at all). Again, I cannot decide for you what is improper or not.

"Artificial" is an absurd adjective to be used in a process that isn't artificial at all, but is completely real and observable.