• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burnished Silver Eagles

14 posts in this topic

Burnished coins, or more precisely burnished dies, is the treatment of a coin blank or die to give it a special slightly sandy or polished look.

Sometimes burnishing is done with chemicals or by special polishing.

Starting in 2006 the US Mint made Silver Eagle dollar coins (with the W mint mark) with special burnished coin blanks. Under magnification you can notice a slight difference in the coin's field or background.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the burnished Eagles were only produced from 2006 to 2008. Yes, they did have the West Point mintmark, but they were also the first time that an Uncirculated SAE was sold directly to collectors by the Mint.

Chris

With all the different labels, early release, first strikes, that all mean the same thing and different treatments, my brain hurts

Well you can place the Early Release and First Strike labels under marketing for higher prices as that is all those designations really amount to.

Generally, to receive those designations on the label, they have to be purchased within the first 30 days(I believe) and sent directly to the TPG in the original Mint packaging, unopened.

It doesn't amount to anything other than a marketing gimmick for higher asking prices.

I contacted an ebay seller who was selling a common ms69 eagle, asking about 450 bucks. I told him it was a 52 dollar coin, and asked him to justify price, his reply was "first strike"

I lost track of all the different finishes. It got crazy once the mint figured out how much money they could make on these. I think I put one of each away but I'm not sure anymore.

I contacted an ebay seller who was selling a common ms69 eagle, asking about 450 bucks. I told him it was a 52 dollar coin, and asked him to justify price, his reply was "first strike"

See what I mean?

It's all marketing.

Funny thing is, a 69 without the First Strike/Early Release on the label, is the same as with those designations.

When the TPGs started including this option for label designation, it was the beginning of the end.

When the TPGs started including this option for label designation, it was the beginning of the end.

I found all this kind of stuff clogs the market with a lot of non-sense. Trying to figure out Burnished vs. non-Burnished is hard enough but you throw in these absurd "first strike" designations it becomes mind-numbing.

I'd much rather have a coin in it's original packaging....

jom

I found all this kind of stuff clogs the market with a lot of non-sense. Trying to figure out Burnished vs. non-Burnished is hard enough but you throw in these absurd "first strike" designations it becomes mind-numbing.

I'd much rather have a coin in it's original packaging....

jom

And I didn't mention the MS/PR 70 labels either. Those are ridiculous too.

And I didn't mention the MS/PR 70 labels either. Those are ridiculous too.

What is ridiculous there is the pricing/value. That's why if I'm interested in one of these I look for original packaging or go find a lower graded one and buy the packaging separately and crack away.

jom