• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which US coin is called "rare" but is fairly easy to find?

46 posts in this topic

Another great example is the 1907 high-relief Saint. They are not even close to "rare", but just try to find one on the bourse floor! They are out there, at $10000 just to start.

But here again, it's a coin that everyone wants to own as an ultimate type, so once one lands in a collection, it stays there.

Another great example is the 1907 high-relief Saint. They are not even close to "rare", but just try to find one on the bourse floor! They are out there, at $10000 just to start.

But here again, it's a coin that everyone wants to own as an ultimate type, so once one lands in a collection, it stays there.

I see 4-5 every month at my local show. I guess rarity is also based on location.

Goloid and metric dollars, and stellas are among the most commonly available pattern pieces. Hundreds of sets were sold to members of Congress for bullion value.

How about the other end of the spectrum?

Would you call the $50 Pan Pacs rare?

Using Sheldon scale definition of "rare," R-5, 31 to 74, the answer is no. These coins are unique and unusual however and they visually very impressive. Therefore they are important "trophy coins."

I would call them scarce but not rare.

And I would love to own a bunch of them.

The 1809 Capped Bust Dime is arguably one of the toughest and rarest U.S Coins to find IMO. When found problem free they usually sell for many multiples of the list price. In my 3 years of searching I have seen less than 50 on the market, all selling for 5x+ the red book.

I see 4-5 every month at my local show. I guess rarity is also based on location.

You must go to an awlful big "local show" if there are 4 to 5 1907 High Relief $20 gold pieces offered there. Even in the mid to late 1970s, you did not often see even one High Relief at the local shows I used to attend in northern New Jersey. A dealer either has be able to get such coins on consignment or have a pretty strong owner's equity line on their balance sheet to be able to swing one of those. Most of the local guys I'm used to seeing are lucky if their business has a net worth that is more than $20 thousand at least going by their inventory.

Not rare -- any 1881-85 CC dollar. These are common coins that bring a premium for the mintmark alone. I'll second some of the usual suspects like the SVDB, the 16-d dime, the 93-s dollar, and the high relief. The 1815/2 half is also not an especially rare coin.

Rare -- there are quite a few coins from the middle of the 19th century that are far more difficult to find than the price guides might indicate, and auction results will often reflect that.

I am VERY interested. Would you be willing to get me those dealers' names??

I am VERY interested. Would you be willing to get me those dealers' names??

Sure. Will drop you a PM.

called rare but supremely easy to find

1856 flying eagle cent

and is the most common pattern out there but collected as a part of the regular issue small cents due to the inclusion of the 56 flyer in the blue whitman folder of indian head cents back in the 1960's

i believe thaat the 56 flyers have been restruck multiple times to satisfy collectors up to 1868 and there has to be a mintage out there of 3500+ coins

What do you all think about the Gobrecht dollar? Easy to find or ?

Id say they're fairly tough. Too many exist with problems as well. Those in collections are staying put.

They are not rare, but are yet another example of a VERY popular type coin, which makes them tough to come by.

I like these. On my short list of coins I would like to acquire.

I like these. On my short list of coins I would like to acquire.

Top 4 Mint State type coins that I'd like to acquire:

1921-S WLH

1916 SLQ

Gobrecht Dollar

ANY Draped Bust dollar