• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Road Token - Wheeling Suspension Bridge
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Our nation's first turnpike, known as the National Road, traversed through Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and Maryland.

Known today as US Highway 40, National Road tokens were issued with incuse numbers that were used to indicate toll gate. In this particular case, the specimen corresponds to the Wheeling Suspension Bridge toll, which was the first bridge span the Ohio River.

LefevreFCranstone-Article.jpg

Completed in 1849, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world until 1851. In 1854 the deck of the bridge was destroyed in a windstorm. Re-decked shortly thereafter, the bridge remains standing today.

As per the numismatic specimen, the bridge's tokens were struck on planed off large cents and foreign coins.

This particular specimen is quite rough, and most probably is a ground find. The planchet having a diameter that exceeds one of a large cent, it appears to be brass.

It is the first and only example of a Wheeling Suspension Bridge specimen I have encountered despite years of searching.

She's no beauty -- clearly. Yet despite its rough condition, I am happy to have it in the cabinet.

WV890L-WheelingWireBridge-Combined.jpg

It is cataloged as Atwood-Coffee WV890L. Also cataloged in Brunk, pg. 234 as T-258, it is but only 1 of 4 known to survive. It is an R-7 on the Sheldon Rarity Scale.

If anyone else possess tokens from the National Road, or even one from the Wheeling Suspension Bridge, I'd love to see some other examples.

Thanks,

Cheetah

That is really cool!!

What other toll gate tokens are known for the National Road (aka National Pike)?

That's a cool story. I'll have to try and read more upon the history of it  thanks for sharing. I'll keep my eyes open for those tokens also. Would love to own a piece of that history. Traveled thru there many times. Got family and friends up in that country. 

Those tokens have a modern equivalent in traffic counting strips and automatic tag readers for toll charges. The "National Pike" was a very big deal way back then. It was much like the jump transportation made with inception of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways (aka Interstate Highway System).

On 2/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That's a cool story. I'll have to try and read more upon the history of it  thanks for sharing. I'll keep my eyes open for those tokens also. Would love to own a piece of that history. Traveled thru there many times. Got family and friends up in that country. 

https://www.novanumismatics.com/our-nations-first-interstate-its-toll-token/

here is a website that has an article a little more in depth about the tokens/National road pike. Hope this helps 

Historical Aside: When the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge opened between Brooklyn and Staten Island as the world's longest suspension bridge in 1964 in time for the World's Fair in Flushing, Queens, New York, the toll was 50 cents. The only outcry was over the cost, twice that of any other intercity bridge or tunnel. Today the round-trip fare, once a dollar is $19.00.  (I believe the toll for a six-axle rig crossing the GWB exceeds $100.]

One set of footings for this bridge occupies a small island were the first 1913 Buffalo nickels were distributed to Native-American chiefs. A monument to the subdued and corralled tribes was planned for that island. Nothing was built except a bronze plaque. Wanamaker was a big booster of the project.

[See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for more information.]

Edited by RWB