• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Same Coin - 2 Auctions

12 posts in this topic

I have actually purchased a couple coins from this seller before. Never had any problems.

I sent the following note to him:

Dear fairtraderz,

I notice you have this coin (Item 220900624225) posted for sale in two separate listings -- once raw in this posting, and another time in an NGC holder listed as "Artificial Toning" (eBay Item 230780995894). I realize the NGC holder is "just an opinion" to many people, but the two are clearly the same coin. Could you explain this? I find it questionably ethical to post the same coin twice (I think it's actually forbidden on eBay to do so).

Not implicating your business practices, but it "appears" that you posted the coin twice -- and that if someone purchases the slabbed version (listed at $455) you send it "as is", but if someone purchased the "raw" version (listed at $980) I assume you would crack it out and send it raw? I hope you see how this could be considered somewhat misleading to serious bidders.

Best regards.

I just got done reviewing an auction for an 1859-CC gold dollar that had appeared in three Heritage auctions within the last year. The coin was in a normal PCGS slab and then it went into a "Secure Plus" slab for the last two auctions.

I actually bought a couple of coins from Fairtraderz in 2001 when they first started heavily selling on Ebay. I am not particularly surprised that they would use the same picture for different coin auctions. The coins that I bought from them, I returned because they looked nothing like the Ebay pictures which they had represented these coins with in their auctions. They did take the coins back for refund when I complained though.

They ended the raw coin auction, and I just got this message from them:

Dear brg5658,

the coin was listed raw first.......we graded it and forgot to remove the original listing

- fairtraderz

I just got done reviewing an auction for an 1859-CC gold dollar that had appeared in three Heritage auctions within the last year. The coin was in a normal PCGS slab and then it went into a "Secure Plus" slab for the last two auctions.

I don't see a problem with this?

I think the listing party is being truthful. He probably listed the coin as raw then shipped it to NGC and got the dreaded details holder and listed it as is and valued it accordingly.

Seems like the volume he/they do would result in the occasional error. To me the price is the greater issue.

I agree, I do think it was an honest mistake. As Raisethis hinted at, the throughput of this seller probably makes the bookkeeping a nightmare when listing freshly graded coins that were previously raw. (shrug)