• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Questions

8 posts in this topic

Yes it is. Coin questions are perfect for here.

Semi-related topics (eBay, submitting coins, etc) are perfect for the Coin Tangents forum.

What can we help you with?

Ok good!

I've been cleaning out "junk" from my parents house, and I came across a coin collection that my Godfather put together for me while I was growing up. I have no clue really what any of it is, and how to find out what anything is worth. Here's what I found:

United States Mint Proof Sets: 1981-2002

United States Mint Silver Proof Sets: 1992-2002

1987 Silver American Eagle One Dollar Coin

1999 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollar Coin

1982 George Washington Silver Commerorative half-dollar Coin

1976 United States Bicentennial Silve Uncirculated Set

1986 Liberty Silver Dollar and Half Dollar

All are in their original, sealed, uncirculated form. Could anyone help me find out a little more about what I have, as I'm going to sell it. Thanks!

Ok good!

I've been cleaning out "junk" from my parents house, and I came across a coin collection that my Godfather put together for me while I was growing up. I have no clue really what any of it is, and how to find out what anything is worth. Here's what I found:

All are in their original, sealed, uncirculated form. Could anyone help me find out a little more about what I have, as I'm going to sell it. Thanks!

A mixed lot like this will usually sell for about 90% of CDN bid

pretty easily. You can get up to 105 % if you shop around a lot, but the extra would be eaten up by postage costs. If you just want to sell figure on 90%.

You might consider starting a collection since you have a good start.These coins have actually been doing quite well performance wise the last several years so taking profits and collecting different coins may not be unwise either. In any case, good luck.

Uh oh... here comes the newbie... .what's a CDN bid? gossip.gif

Also, is there a publication or website to find out how much these go for? The last thing I need is another hobby (read: addiction) grin.gif so I'm going to be selling these, probably on ebay. Any help is appriciated! Thanks!

Howdy and welcome. The CDN is the Coin Dealer Newsletter, commonly also known as the Greysheet. Since you don't seem to be interested in the coins, I suggest that you learn about the pieces that you have by either going to a local library or bookstore and obtaining a copy of the Red Book and, if you really want, you might buy an update of the Greysheet online for about $13 at their web page. The pieces that you write about are neither rare nor valuable individually, however, since you seem to have quite a few pieces, they will add up to a decent sized check.

Your best venue for sale would be to either sell them individually on ebay, offer them on this site on the "For Sale" board or bring them to a local coin dealer and ask them for an offer on the lot. Please note that you should ask for an offer and not an appraisal as an appraisal might cost you money but an offer on this type of lot should be free. Good luck.

Ok good!

CDN = Coin Dealer Newsletter - frequently called the Greysheet. It is the dealer-to-dealer price guuide.

As for value, the 1982-2002 proof sets range in value from $3.25 to $220 depending on which you have. Sorry, but there are too many to look up right now. Consult eBay for past sales.

The 1987 SAE is $7.50

1999 SBA $ & 1982 GW 50c are about $4

1976 mint set is $13.

1986 SoL is about $17

If you send me a PM with your address I will send you a Greysheet dated within the last few weeks if interested.