• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Gold Sticker prices!

46 posts in this topic

It is still crazy. Even if the coin is an AU53/55.

Here's an AU53CAC that went for a hair over $10k a few months ago:

http://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=323597

Id rather take that coin and keep the extra $5k in my pocket.

So if someone does not grade and value coins the way you do, it's crazy. Got it.

You are to be complimented on how fast you learned that.

Respectfully for all,

John Curlis

So if someone does not grade and value coins the way you do, it's crazy. Got it.

Yup! This a message board not a reference book. You have every right to agree or disagree with what is said here. All I'm saying is that I'd rather have the AU53 coin for $5k less. From how defensive you're getting I would guess you bought the gold stickered XF!

From your tone, I am guessing that you were, like me, outbid and had sour grapes. I am guessing that you also saw both coins discussed, in hand, and are therefore able to compare and contrast their attributes.

I did not buy it, but I do know that there are some very active set builders in Liberty $10's and nicer examples of better date coins are in high demand. I just sold a better date coin to a specialty dealer for double what I paid for it a couple years ago. I guess he's crazy, too.

And if the buyer gets the coin in the OP in a 58 holder and sells it to someone for $17,500, was he really a crazy?

Taking the other side, it really is all crazy, at some level, and imposing our individual sense of craziness on someone else's sense of craziness, is, well, simply crazy. :)

To me, the NGC coin looks XF40, and the PCGS coin looks AU53, so I do not see a problem with the latter coin selling for more.

Gold stickers have become collectible, just as old slabs have, and often there is extra premium just for the wow factor. I don't know if that was the case here.

From a technical standpoint, I think CAC suppresses their gold sticker output; I've sent a lot of coins that really were under-grade, and have only gotten 1 gold sticker in 3 years. But I have taken green stickered MS64s, upgraded them to MS65 and MS66, and gotten a green sticker on them again!

Yup! This a message board not a reference book. You have every right to agree or disagree with what is said here. All I'm saying is that I'd rather have the AU53 coin for $5k less. From how defensive you're getting I would guess you bought the gold stickered XF!

I don't think RYK was being defensive - he had a very similar reaction to what I did. And I didn't buy the coin.

You didn't just say "I'd rather have the AU53 coin for $5k less". If you had stopped there, neither one of us would have objected. But you went a big step further and included "It is still crazy." Maybe you don't see the difference, but some of us do.

I don't think RYK was being defensive - he had a very similar reaction to what I did. And I didn't buy the coin.

You didn't just say "I'd rather have the AU53 coin for $5k less". If you had stopped there, neither one of us would have objected. But you went a big step further and included "It is still crazy." Maybe you don't see the difference, but some of us do.

Well, said, Mark.

It is ironic that the OP started another very recent thread where he boasts that he paid "probably about 3x sheet, but thats ok with me" for a seated half dime, but there is no suggestion that it was crazy to do so.

Frankly, if he likes the coin it was probably a very smart thing to do, but for ripping someone else for doing so is inconsistent, to say the least.

IN MY OPINION, there is a difference in overpaying for a coin that seems to be consistently available vs one that isn't. Personally, ive not seen anothet no stars hakf dime with color that nice before. Im sure we have all overpaid for coins. I know I have.

To me, the NGC coin looks XF40, and the PCGS coin looks AU53, so I do not see a problem with the latter coin selling for more.

I agree that the PCGS coin looks better to me, and I don't have a problem with the premium either. It is admittedly strong money, but I wouldn't call it "crazy" and given the prices realized for many of these recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see the new owner flip it for a profit in a few years.

It is ironic that the OP started another very recent thread where he boasts that he paid "probably about 3x sheet, but thats ok with me" for a seated half dime, but there is no suggestion that it was crazy to do so.

Frankly, if he likes the coin it was probably a very smart thing to do, but for ripping someone else for doing so is inconsistent, to say the least.

I think, although I may not be sure due to my personal craziness, that I alluded to this....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

IN MY OPINION, there is a difference in overpaying for a coin that seems to be consistently available vs one that isn't. Personally, ive not seen anothet no stars hakf dime with color that nice before. Im sure we have all overpaid for coins. I know I have.

My photography is not the best on this one, but this the piece in my type set. This coin has nice original color, and it makes the MS-66 grade that is marked on the holder IMO, but there is no sticker. ;)

1837NoStarsHDimeO.jpg1837NoStarsHDimeR.jpg

The No Stars half dime is fairly easy to find. The "rubber meets the road" with the No Stars dime, which is much tougher.

There is always a question about the marginal cost of going up one grade or even for a marginal improvement in grade or eye appeal. An increase from $4,500 to $14,500 is pretty significant. For those of us who don't have infinite funds you have to think about where that extra $10,000 could go on something else. To really make an informed decision, one would have to see both coins in person.

For some items the choice is easy. For the 1873 $20 gold I purchased in this sale, using Gray Sheet numbers, the price jumps from $10,500 in MS-63 to $35,000 in MS-64. Even if I could have an opportunity to buy the coin in MS-64, which is doubtful because the graded population is very low, I wouldn't do it. The type is interesting, but it's not one of the prime types on my list.

And I can tell you from a couple of years of looking that there are MS-63 graded pieces available that don't hold a candle to the piece I purchased. One sat in a dealer's inventory for over a year. I viewed it as an AU-55 or 58, but it was in an MS-63 holder.

Bill, beautiful 1837!.

Even with the jaws of life holding it in place. MJ

I've said over and over again that I have a LOT of trouble valuing coins. It is pretty hard to do. There are a ton of factors that go into it in general:

1) Grade

2) Whether the coin is eye-appealing. Yep, people pay more for a coin that has some "pop" or color or whatever. What I mean by "more" is "more relative to another coin in the same grade".

3) Old green holders from PCGS. There is a perception that these are "undergraded" relative to how they grade now. CAC seems to think so because the vast majority of the gold stickers I've seen are usually coins in older holders.

4) CAC green and gold. Now these are collectable...adds value.

How one is to wade through all of this is beyond me. When there are big jumps in price based on the GRADE alone makes it hard enough. If you add the above factors it can get "crazy" (an adjective used earlier). God help us all.

lol

jom

To really make an informed decision, one would have to see both coins in person.

I agree, and will again say that you can pay any attention to the grades on the slabs, in this case.