• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Sells NGC 1955 Double Die Obverse MS65RD for $13,000/$14950 w/Buyers Premium posted by hunter's gold

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Wow, Someone got a great deal

Hi Everyone. heritage just sold a NGC MS65RD 1955 Double Die Obverse for $13000 and with buyers premium total was $14950. if you look at the most recent auction records for this coin in this grade someone walk away with an amazing coin for an amazing price. It has always bee my dream to own this coin in this particular grade and hopefully I will find one when the time is right. I really had thought about pulling the trigger on this one but i would have had to dump a lot of inventory to make it happen. One can dream and I will work towards making it a reality. In the meantime, congratulations on a top notch coin and a bargain price. Thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

11718.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

I think some would probably consider the coin only marginally red or red-brown, and this is the reason that it sold for such a low price. I do agree that it is a great piece, and the price wasn't too bad.

I've noticed many, many coins values and auction prices dropping considerably in the past 2-3 years which is a continuation of a trend that began in 2005/2006.

I think if you use the NGC, coin values/history graphs on their webpage you'll see this to be true. Some series like classic commems, Walkers and Lincolns have dropped by 15-20% on average.

There are always exceptions to this when coins are exceptionally toned, PQ or just rarely come to market of course.

Who knows the cause? I would venture a guess that the market for high grade classic coins got hit pretty hard with this on-going recession.

I read an article on Bloomberg that showed where average householdincome has dropped from $127K to $77 K since 2007--we've had near doubling of gas prices since Jan 2009, 30-40% increase in many food costs, health ins has increased by 23% on average in the past 3 years--and millions have salaries frozen, cut, or lost jobs --I believe this has really hit the coin market pretty hard.

Having said all of that--when will the ebayers start being more realistic with their BIN prices?

PS: Amazing doubling !! -it almost hurts my eyes or makes them feel twitchy to look at that date.

PPS: for those who have never used this great resource with the price graphs, this is where it is at ( I find NGC's site a bit challenging to navigate with no direct links to many of their resources)

First go to the Home page...then got to NGC Resources TAB

from the drop down pick the US Coin Values

Then select your series from this page

When the series with all of its dates loads then go down to the date you are interested in--find the column with the grade of that date.

You can click on the price/value and a really cool price history graph and info page comes up......have fun with this ( and don't get too depressed if you're a long time collector--look at it as an opportunity to buy at lower costs !! Glass is half full, right?)

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/NumismediaPrice-History.aspx?c=16613&g=66

click here for a sample page:

While the details grade is correct, I do not like the color at all. Most attractive 55 DDO's are mostly brown and a few red-browns. Only a select few red coins actually look nice.