• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Consider Conservation on this one?

9 posts in this topic

I have no idea what it is - It's a smoky tan color, looks to be on the surface, but the 3 little circles are weird too - guessing some kind of residue, but not like anything I've ever seen

I'd try acetone first and if that didn't help I'd try a coin dip since the coin is already mostly white. Looks like it may be old dip residue that wasn't properly rinsed.

If by conservation, you mean home conservation, then by all means yes. I would not, however, submit the coin to NCS or other professional conservation firm as it is not worth the fee.

As has been alluded to, acetone will help remove contaminates (particularly organic contaminates) from the coin. Also, it looks like dip residue. Acetone may work here too as well. If not, try MS70. MS70 is a strong base and would also neutralize any acid left from the potential improper dip.

I'd try acetone first and if that didn't help I'd try a coin dip since the coin is already mostly white. Looks like it may be old dip residue that wasn't properly rinsed.
ill agree with that one