• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bittersweet newp....1796 Quarter

43 posts in this topic

So a good friend of mine was in need of some cash to take care of something. Unfortunately he had to sell this coin to raise the funds. Rather than it go to a dealer, he offered it to me, and I happily accepted.

I paid strong money for it, but its such a tough early type piece to find in affordable yet decent condition. While this does have a few minor scratches, the surfaces are otherwise clean, and the detail is solid for the grade.

1796quarter.jpg

When I eventually upgrade to a Fine, this will be offered to him first. Thanks for looking!

Ankur

One other thing I will mention is that the goal of finding an F12 is nice, but it might be a very difficult goal to attain. I purchased my F12 1796 quarter in 2001 and must have looked at every piece that entered the market for upwards of five years before finding an acceptable specimen.

One other thing I will mention is that the goal of finding an F12 is nice, but it might be a very difficult goal to attain. I purchased my F12 1796 quarter in 2001 and must have looked at every piece that entered the market for upwards of five years before finding an acceptable specimen.

I've seen Tom's 1796. It was very nice, with superb originality and eye appeal.

Finding a nice VF is not much easier. I bought mine in the late 1980s. The week after I bought it I showed to well-known dealer, Tony Terranova. He offered me "a 500 buck profit" on the spot. More than 20 years later Tony asked me if I still had the piece. I do. It amazed me that he would remember a coin from that far back that he only saw once.

There is a decent Fine on the market but it's out of my price range.

I don't except everyone to like this example but that's ok.

I like it a lot!

Super details for the grade and older, worn over scratches don't offend me on coins of this stature.

Plus you helped out a friend.

Win/win!

Surprised CAC awarded a sticker, considering the blatant scratches on the obverse.

And wouldn't it have been more tactful to not post a bragadocious post in light of the bittersweet nature of the acquisition? Does your friend read these forums?

Surprised CAC awarded a sticker, considering the blatant scratches on the obverse.

And wouldn't it have been more tactful to not post a bragadocious post in light of the bittersweet nature of the acquisition? Does your friend read these forums?

It was stickered due to the date to be honest. All the sticker means is that John is willing to buy it.

He does and had no problem with me posting.

wouldn't it have been more tactful to not post a bragadocious post in light of the bittersweet nature of the acquisition?

Jerseycat meet Ankur, Also, call me crazy but knowing the OP I suspect his buddy will have a chance to buy it back in the very near future on the Money Marketplace

I am with you Ankur, your friend got strong money for the coin on his choice to sell it. I am not surprised that CAC stickered it. Nice coin!

He does and had no problem with me posting.

Conceding up front that I am not certain I understand "bragadocious" in the context used, but can guess;

I do not interpret a lack of tact or bragging.

The OP states clearly that at a future event, the coin will first be offered to

the previous owner. It is of more import that the OP readily provided support to someone in need, and assisted in allowing that person dignity in the transaction.

My personal opinion, and worth little, I admit, but it is my opinion....

Respect always,

John Curlis

Very nice Ankur . The scratches don't bother me at all . I think you have to look at it for what it is , Rarity, general availability. I'd CErtianly be happy to have it my set (thumbs u

wouldn't it have been more tactful to not post a bragadocious post in light of the bittersweet nature of the acquisition?

Jerseycat meet Ankur, Also, call me crazy but knowing the OP I suspect his buddy will have a chance to buy it back in the very near future on the Money Marketplace

As another member said, always nice to see you add something valuable to the forums.

I agree that I am surprised to see it CAC approved with the scratches; however, most of the coins from this era that I see on the market have similar issues. The scratches are not too bad, and I actually like the piece.

P.S. I don't think he was bragging at all.

I am with you Ankur, your friend got strong money for the coin on his choice to sell it. I am not surprised that CAC stickered it. Nice coin!

BINGO!

This is what CAC is all about; it's not necessarily PQ or superior for the grade. This was a lesson I got from a dealer at the last Baltimore show.

I don't find what appear to be ancient circulation marks and scratches to be anything odd or peculiarly evil on a coin of this age and grade. It looks fine to me and I am not surprised CAC might put a sticker on the coin.

I agree that I am surprised to see it CAC approved with the scratches; however, most of the coins from this era that I see on the market have similar issues. The scratches are not too bad, and I actually like the piece.

Going ONLY by images, I would not have guessed this to be a PQ coin, but perhaps it is nicer in-hand than as depicted. I've definitely seen nicer examples graded AG ... again if the images are truthful as presented.

And what would that cost today Bill?

It says $30,000 on the Gray Sheet, but I dare say it would be more like in the $35,000 ranage. The piece is now in a PCGS VF-25 holder, which was exactly my grade at the time I bought it. It was raw then, of course.

Going ONLY by images, I would not have guessed this to be a PQ coin, but perhaps it is nicer in-hand than as depicted. I've definitely seen nicer examples graded AG ... again if the images are truthful as presented.

A green CAC sticker means solid for the grade or PQ for the grade. It doesn't state which. It only precludes low end for the grade.

MJ