• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1802 Proof Dollar in ANA Heritage Auction!

44 posts in this topic

To get in on this: I haven't a clue how to value coins that are considered somewhat unique (nice toning or whatever) with far less value let alone some huge rarity like this. My best guess is that it will come in at something north of a million.

How do collectors/dealers value these kinds of coins anyway? Seems scary if 7 figures are involved.

jom

Auction history for this date:

Apr-2008 $920,000 PR65CAM PCGS Heritage

Nov-2005 $316,250 PR64 PCGS Heritage

Nov-2001 $120,750 PR64 PCGS Bowers & Merena

Oct-1995 $66,000 CH PR NONE Stack's

Nov-1988 $71,500 PR65 NONE Bowers & Merena

Jan-1984 $60,500 PR65 NONE Stack's

Jan-1945 $210 PR64 NONE Numismatic Gallery

Jun-1941 $128 PR65 NONE B. Max Mehl

Wish I had had the foresight to buy this in January of 1945

I'll go out on a limb and say any 1800's coin bought in 1945 is worth substantially more today.

Wish I had had the foresight to buy this in January of 1945

I'll go out on a limb and say any 1800's coin bought in 1945 is worth substantially more today.

Jan-1945 $210 PR64 NONE Numismatic Gallery

My guess is $379,000.

What makes you think the price will be less than half of what one sold for in 2008?

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I do believe that this is the same coin that was offered in 2008. I've checked population reports, and this is the only 65CA graded by either service. The only difference between this go around and last is the somewhat meaningless fact that it CAC'd (I'm not saying CAC is worthless, far from it, namely that it shouldn't matter at all on ultra-rarities).

edit: Corrected...must have been spacing the first time I read the description.

My guess is $379,000.

What makes you think the price will be less than half of what one sold for in 2008?

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I do believe that this is the same coin that was offered in 2008. I've checked population reports, and this is the only 65CA graded by either service. The only difference between this go around and last is the somewhat meaningless fact that it CAC'd (I'm not saying CAC is worthless, far from it, namely that it shouldn't matter at all on ultra-rarities).

According to the lot description, you are mistaken. The current offering appears as the first of the four known examples, with the one that sold in 2008 being second on the list.

The catalog description also states that all four of the known coins has been graded PR65 Cameo.

And I can't fathom a guess or a price of $379,000.

My guess is $379,000.

According to the lot description, you are mistaken. The current offering appears as the first of the four known examples, with the one that sold in 2008 being second on the list.

The catalog description also states that all four of the known coins has been graded PR65 Cameo.

And I can't fathom a guess or a price of $379,000.

Good catch, their use of bold font in the description with present coin and the coin numbers must have caught me spacing out a few minutes.

That said, I can't see why this example would go for any significant sum less than the previous sale of $980,000.