• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my 1877 Trade Dollar and 1839 quarter

9 posts in this topic

I know my photos are not perfect, but I just want a few opinions from what you can gather. Found these at an estate sale this past weekend. Bought a box of stuff for $5 and they were in at the bottom. Would they be worth NGCing? Thanks guys.

Chris Picture009.jpgPicture010.jpgPicture011.jpgPicture012.jpg

For $5, you can't beat that deal with a stick, but the coins are not worth the NGC grading fee IMO.

I would grade the Trade Dollar as a Good-6. Some might call it a VG-7. The main reason for having the piece graded would be authenticity concerns because there are so many counterfeits of these coins. That would make it easier to sell. Still this is a low grade for a Trade dollar.

The quarter is a "Fine-11." I think most people would give the Fine-12 grade although the obverse is weak for that grade. That wear patter is not unusual for the No Drapery quarters which did not wear as well as the With Drapery type pieces.

But like a said for $5, who's going to look a gift horse in the mouth? If we could all make deals like this every day, most of us could quit our day jobs. :banana:

I worry a bit about the dollar, wear just seems off to me, but grade wise I'd say G-06.

The quarter looks like it may have been tooled a bit or it might just be the lighting angle you photo'd it at. Details wise it's a F-12 that wouldn't CAC, as Bill said, a bit weak for the grade, but better than a VG-10.

The trade dollar looks like a magicans coin, unless my monitor is wacky there appears to be a line around the rev of the coin inside the rim and it looks like you could seperate the coin into two pieces.

"The trade dollar looks like a magicans coin, unless my monitor is wacky there appears to be a line around the rev of the coin inside the rim and it looks like you could seperate the coin into two pieces."

Wow, good eye!

The trade dollar looks like a magicans coin, unless my monitor is wacky there appears to be a line around the rev of the coin inside the rim and it looks like you could seperate the coin into two pieces.

+1

"The trade dollar looks like a magicans coin, unless my monitor is wacky there appears to be a line around the rev of the coin inside the rim and it looks like you could seperate the coin into two pieces."

Wow, good eye!

You are correct. I have one of those. Given that it is low grade the fact that it has had that done to it makes it more valuable.

They are called "box Trade Dollars" in the trade, and the romantic connotation was that they were used to smuggle opium from the Orient. It's more likely that these pieces were used to house a picture. I have also seen Columbian commemorative half dollars that have been modified in this way.

BoxTradeDollarOpen.jpgBoxTradeDollarPOpen.jpg

BoxTradeDollarR.jpg

Wow, good eye!

You are correct. I have one of those. Given that it is low grade the fact that it has had that done to it makes it more valuable.

They are called "box Trade Dollars" in the trade, and the romantic connotation was that they were used to smuggle opium from the Orient. It's more likely that these pieces were used to house a picture. I have also seen Columbian commemorative half dollars that have been modified in this way.

BoxTradeDollarOpen.jpgBoxTradeDollarPOpen.jpg

BoxTradeDollarR.jpg

:golfclap: