• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Closing Bell for the 2012 San Francisco 2-coin ASE Set

7 posts in this topic

The numbers weren't bad at all!

251,302 was the Mint's estimated tally as of Sale closing at 5PM, July 5th. When you consider the fears of potential over purchasing by vendors and profiteers, the total came in much less than anticipated. Estimates of over a Million were being forecast, I kept mine at about 1/2 that number.

So much had been made by some over the lifting of purchase limits, and how our sets were going to be devalued, etc. Well it turned out well for all. The total sales were just high enough to spead the wealth, but not so much to flood the market. What boggles me is that with all the advertising and the ample availablity of this product, that so many are now bidding on the set through Ebay Pre-sales, where were these guys for the last month?

Stay thirsty, My Friends.

11663.jpg

See more journals by Gino Tumminia

That is not a high mintage at all. the 2006 20th Anniversary set sold out and had a max mintage of 250,000 units.

Since the 2012 have the "S" mint mark, I believe they will demand a premium in a few years just like the 2006 do now.

Although the 2006 set has 3 coins instead of 2, value based on Numismedia puts it around $1400. I believe it is actually a bit higher. The MS 70 is listed at $670 and I am looking to purchase this coin to finish my set and the ones I have seen at auction have been going for $800.

Time will tell.

Jeffrey

Being new to the Silver Eagles, I started purchasing some, both regular uncirculated and graded coins. Trying to keep around 30-35 for the regulars and about 60-80% of the pricelist on this website for the graded coins. What do you recomemmend for the set just purchased? Should I send and get them graded or just keep them? I purchased 4 sets, some to keep and a couple for possible sale down the road. Thanks

My point was exactly that, Mintage of this set is not at all high. With a few million collectors of silver eagles in the world, there wil be a demand. Why this total is so low confounds me, since no purchase limit was placed on them during the month of sale.

Purchasing a complete MS or PF-69 set, you'll probably get the best deal. Buying raw and submitting to NGC and getting back a '69' or less, is more work than it's worth. MS69's generally go for $50-$70, and for a few bucks more recent '70'. Early grade 70's -from $600-800++.

On the other hand, a Raw pre-2000 coin in top condition, stored in an Air-tite can get you a good price. Just watch the market/ebay prices.

Basically ask yourself "do you want to collect a complete set, or just a few of the "big buck" coins for investment?

Gino

I think a lot of people, me included, are hoping the graded sets will only sell for a modest premium by the beginning of next year. That may have depressed the sales.

Since I will be targeting a PF69 set, me still thinks I will get the set for under 200.00 which will be fine considering the cost for grading, insurance, shipping, etc, that comes from buying a raw set.

Later,

Malcolm