• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage: Prooflike Peace Dollar

111 posts in this topic

In the effort of adding to the conversation

I bet the coin is quite brilliant and flashy but with minimal contrast. There are two dates most commonly found in the ANACS and NGC pop reports as PL (and my own history with Peace dollars supports this) which are 1926s and 1934d, in fact these are the only two dates certified as such by any of the major TPG as PL. These brilliant examples are most likely produced from one set of dies (each) that had a modification event during their run where they were polished on a rotational die polisher which abraded the die to a semi mirror finish which differentiates it from the finish that was typically imparted by the mint after the annealing process. This polishing event is evident in the die abrasions always found on the handful of PL dollars out there and can be seen clearly here Link to a High Res PL Peace dollar. .

I have seen one of the 1926s ANACS PL coins and this PCGS coin is its equal and form the same dies based off the die polish lines.

Even though that coin is about as PL as they come in the series with mirrors on both sides that are about 2-3 In deep on the Obv in spots and slightly more shallow on the Rev, it shouldn't be compared to a PL Morgan which had its surface applied intentionally buy a process that had been practiced over many dies.

Here is a condensed photo

1926%20PL.jpg

I've seen the 34-D in hand that's been floating around for the last decade looking for a home which is in a ANACS MS62PL old white chase holder. It's been at times advertised at an ask upwards of $5K. Anyone thinking a PL Peace will come even close to a PL Morgan is in for a crude awakening especially if purchased by a internet bidder without in hand lot viewing. Most are just blotchy with areas of PL-ness in the fields for having been struck from freshly polished dies. All PL'y Peace's I've seen have die polish lines as seen on my 1923-S Mint Error below which is very PL on most of the obverse and area's on the reverse fields due to heavily polished fresh dies.

1923sdbroadcomp.jpg

In the effort of adding to the conversation

I bet the coin is quite brilliant and flashy but with minimal contrast. There are two dates most commonly found in the ANACS and NGC pop reports as PL (and my own history with Peace dollars supports this) which are 1926s and 1934d, in fact these are the only two dates certified as such by any of the major TPG as PL. These brilliant examples are most likely produced from one set of dies (each) that had a modification event during their run where they were polished on a rotational die polisher which abraded the die to a semi mirror finish which differentiates it from the finish that was typically imparted by the mint after the annealing process. This polishing event is evident in the die abrasions always found on the handful of PL dollars out there and can be seen clearly here Link to a High Res PL Peace dollar. .

I have seen one of the 1926s ANACS PL coins and this PCGS coin is its equal and form the same dies based off the die polish lines.

Even though that coin is about as PL as they come in the series with mirrors on both sides that are about 2-3 In deep on the Obv in spots and slightly more shallow on the Rev, it shouldn't be compared to a PL Morgan which had its surface applied intentionally buy a process that had been practiced over many dies.

Here is a condensed photo

I've seen the 34-D in hand that's been floating around for the last decade looking for a home which is in a ANACS MS62PL old white chase holder. It's been at times advertised at an ask upwards of $5K. Anyone thinking a PL Peace will come even close to a PL Morgan is in for a crude awakening especially if purchased by a internet bidder without in hand lot viewing. Most are just blotchy with areas of PL-ness in the fields for having been struck from freshly polished dies. All PL'y Peace's I've seen have die polish lines as seen on my 1923-S Mint Error below which is very PL on most of the obverse and area's on the reverse fields due to heavily polished fresh dies.

I suspected it was the old ANACS34d that crossed, smart move and I bet they get 4k hammer. I have seen the ANACS one as well and it is more brilliantly flashy than mirrored although it deserves its PL label. I agree with all of your points BTW. All of the coins considered PL are heavily abraded with polish lines much like the blow up on mine.

I suspected it was the old ANACS34d that crossed, smart move and I bet they get 4k hammer. I have seen the ANACS one as well and it is more brilliantly flashy than mirrored although it deserves its PL label. I agree with all of your points BTW. All of the coins considered PL are heavily abraded with polish lines much like the blow up on mine.

The ANACS example is still alive and well on EBay for $3700

There are actually multiple ANACS Peace Dollars. I think there was 1 64 DPL, 1 64 PL, and 2 62 PL examples. I need to double check that though.

Could the seller take worse pictures?

Hammered at 7k +bp

$8,225.00 with buyer's premium to be exact. Honestly, I don't think the coin is worth that much personally, and I wouldn't have paid $8k for it even though it is my understanding that it is a nice coin in hand.

Hammered at 7k +bp

$8,225.00 with buyer's premium to be exact.

That's a lot of money. Hope the winner can share better photos of it.

wow I guess someone thought this coin was worth that much!

Well, I guess you needed at least two bidders who really wanted it since it's an auction :)

Perhaps RWB's book has raised overall interest in the Peace series?

-Mike

Due I get a % of that 8K for raising awareness of the coin? :wishluck:

No, but you have to pay a fine to the bidders who hope to buy it for less. :D

In that case, I will be fining myself.

Whoever bought the coin needs to get the coin professionally imaged and posted here stat.

In that case, I will be fining myself.

Whoever bought the coin needs to get the coin professionally imaged and posted here stat.

My guess is the winner is a member ATS but that doesnt post here.

It appears that this coin is now in Park Avenue Numismatics inventory.

http://www.parkavenumis.com/cgi-bin/inventory/itemlist.pl?action=search&search=peace&category=Dollars

Am I missing something or are there no pictures posted there?

Is an almost 100% mark-up from purchase price really a realistic price? (shrug)

It appears that this coin is now in Park Avenue Numismatics inventory.

http://www.parkavenumis.com/cgi-bin/inventory/itemlist.pl?action=search&search=peace&category=Dollars

Am I missing something or are there no pictures posted there?

Is an almost 100% mark-up from purchase price really a realistic price? (shrug)

No pictures for that particular coin.

Some of the other coins have pics, but they thumbnail image is a 'Red X'. Clicking on the red X brings up the image.

Markup is extremely high IMO, but hey, free market.

Misleading wording too. "only 2 exist", no only 2 have been graded as such. And i dont think even thats true if you count anacs.