• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Secondary Market

7 posts in this topic

Will soon begin.

Hi All,

I hope you all had an excellent fourth. My wife, daughter, and I spent the early evening at my Mom's house eating japanese food and playing Rummikub.

It was a fun night.

When I got home, I checked Email and noted the mint was letting me know the deadline for buying the SF ASE set was less than 18 hours away. I checked the running tally and saw that 245K have been purchased. Seems to me that an overly saturated market and resulting price depression, may occur.

I am going to watch NGC PF69 sets with great interest. Maybe priced just right for my birthday in February.

Malcolm

11651.jpg

See more journals by BeFwChan

Got the same email... and I agreed wholeheartedly. There was so much hype over this set, one could see the speculators drooling. I'll be there with you during the impending mop up operations ;)

I will bet that if you figure in the the initial cost plus the grading and shipping fees,you will probably find some real bargains six to eight months from now!!!

I'm sure for the short term these coins will sell pretty well and a small profit will be made by those wishing to sell them when they get them in hand

Final total, 250,738. gonna be interesting to see the initial pricing of the graded sets from dealers like MCM and from ebay sellers. Whoever gets their sets on the market first will benefit but the numbers of willing buyers, at initial pricing, will drop off quickly, IMHO.

Malcolm

I'm with you on these sets. The 25th Anniversary sets, mintage of 100k, had a regular and reverse proof. The regular proofs came out about 72% PF-70, and the reverse proofs about 65% PF-70. If the grading on these is comparable, there will be more than twice as many PF70 sets as the 25th Anniversary had. I expect the graded sets will pre-sell at a premium, and drop once the market is flooded. With the initial cost of the sets, grading costs, "special label" costs, shipping three ways (Mint to me, me to NGC, NGC back to me), and the inherent risk of low grades (in the Anniversary sets, there were over 200 PF-68's and 56 lower - even as low as PF-63!) I doubt I'll lose much waiting a few months and buying a graded set. It wouldn't surprise me to see PF-70 sets around $200 by next February.