• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Summer Baltimore Purchases; All Beautiful Type (Even A Jefferson Nickel!)

4 posts in this topic

I have a small assortment of coins listed below. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a one week (7-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

Additionally, at this time I am also offering an advanced notice email option whereby you may receive descriptions and prices of all new purchases after each major show or, in the event that a larger purchase is made between shows, as soon as I have a nice group of coins. Simply send me a PM with your email address or send an email requesting to be placed on the advanced notice list. I will not hammer you with emails or a sales pitch; only the occasional update to my site. Lastly, if you would like to read more frequent updates as to my business, you may want to follow or "like" me on Facebook.

1) 1820 Large Cent NGC MS65RB/CAC Randall Hoard

TBR2B1820N65RB.jpg

The Randall Hoard has provided current numismatists with an incredibly valuable opportunity to purchase mid-date large cents in exquisite condition at an affordable level. The great majority of these coins were dated 1820, as is this coin, and most also had the dramatic obverse die cracks that are featured on this coin. However, most Randall Hoard large cents are plagued by horrible spotting or the telltale signs of spot removal. Thankfully, this coin is the happy exception. The surfaces are slightly darker than the images suggest, but they readily glow to reveal original mint luster and frost that is essentially even on both sides are nearly completely devoid of carbon spots. This is what the most superb specimens should look like and, sadly, this is how they have rarely survived. ON HOLD

2) 1938-D Buffalo Nickel PCGS MS65 Rattler

TBR2E1938DP65.jpg

Few coins scream “Americana” louder than the Buffalo nickel and few classically inspired pieces are as readily available and affordable as the 1938-D issue. The present coin is awash with medium depth golden and rose highlights that are somewhat deeper on the reverse. What might appear to be a small spot at 1:00 o’clock on the obverse is actually a mark on the plastic. This coin is nicer than an MS65, but it makes little sense to regrade the coin to MS66 and lose the ancient, near pristine rattler slab. This is one of the few coins that I believe should be in nearly every collection of US coinage, regardless of concentration. ON HOLD

3) 1950 Jefferson Nickel PCGS PR67

TBR2E1950P67.jpg

Simply put, this is the nicest Jefferson nickel I have ever seen. In 1950 the US Mint began to issue proof coinage for the first time since 1942 and the issues of 1950 generally lack the depth and clarity of mirrors that later proof coinage would attain. The 1950 proof coinage was also struck in much more limited numbers than later years with only just over 50,000 produced. The present coin has terrific mirrors with tight rings of color on the obverse and a similar pattern and color scheme on the reverse. What appear to be several small spots on the reverse are near invisible with the coin in-hand. The price of this coin is predicated on its outstanding look and, while it might seem high, the coin would fit in as a true “Box of 20” piece in an enormous number of collections. $775.00

4) 1836 Capped Bust Dime PCGS MS64/CAC

TBR2F1836P64.jpg

The Capped Bust dimes are quite a bit scarcer than their widely collected cousins, the Capped Bust half dollars. Similarly, the late date Capped Bust quarters grab more attention while the Capped Bust half-dimes are more frequently encountered in gem and near gem. This dime has a beautiful mixture of blue and green over a copper colored base and a fantastic peripheral strike with some strike weakness showing up on the central design elements. An examination of recent auction records indicates that an ugly MS64 specimen may be obtained for as little as $2,500 while nicer pieces migrate up to and over $4,000. The present coin offers a wonderful opportunity for the advanced type collector, or lover of superb classic coinage, to obtain a superior coin for relatively little premium. $3,300.00

5) 1905 Barber Quarter PCGS MS64/CAC

TBR2H1905P64.jpg

The mid-date Barber coinage is not so often found in pristine uncirculated condition as the early or later dates in the respective series. This is likely due to the fact that early date coinage is often saved by a curious public while late date coinage is saved by those who are pulling out what is no longer available. The mid-date coins simply go about their business and are largely ignored. This coin is original as the day is long and very attractive for those who like such coins. It is speckled in navy and amber on both sides with somewhat more coverage on the reverse. It also has good luster beneath the toning. Coins such as this are much more difficult to find than what the casual observer might expect. $685.00

6) 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter Type I PCGS MS66FH

TBR2H1917P66FH.jpg

WOW! What a nice, fresh, dazzling coin. The images may portray the coin as having slightly more obverse color than the piece actually has in-hand, but in no way can they convey the airy feel and wonderful eye appeal of the piece. The Type I SLQ is the SLQ to buy if one wants a fantastic looking coin with great strike and full or near full head details. This coin does not disappoint when examined using those criteria. However, that analysis would sell this coin woefully short. Not only is the coin hammered, but it has very attractive light lime and golden toning draped across the obverse and this is paired with a largely light lilac reverse that has fantastic luster. Perhaps the single, well hidden milling mark in the eagle’s right wing held the coin out of an MS67FH holder. The Type I SLQ is available aplenty, so it can pay to be careful with your choice. This is a fantastic coin. This coin is in a PCGS 8 style holder used from late 1998 through early 2002. ON HOLD

7) 1839 Reeded Edge Half Dollar PCGS EF40/CAC

TBR2I1839P40.jpg

The short-lived RE half dollar series has two commonly accepted type coins within its population and these are the 1836-1837 and 1838-1839 issues. The main difference between the two types is that the reverse has HALF DOL. written for the 1838-1839 coins. This latter subtype is dominated by 1838 examples and, indeed, the 1839 RE half dollar is curiously much more difficult to find in anything that resembles original skin. Recently I was able to offer a PCGS EF45 example with good surfaces and the coin was requested by three clients within 24 hours. Obviously, two clients were left bitterly disappointed. Through diligent searching a second example has been unearthed and is now offered. The present coin is a wonderful brown color in a terrific collector-friendly grade. Thankfully, there are few, if any, issues with the surfaces that affect the medium brown color and great remaining details. This coin will not be viewed as rare or scarce by those who have never attempted to find one with these qualities, but those who have searched will recognize immediately the scarcity of the presently offered coin. ON HOLD