• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To get graded or not to get graded....

9 posts in this topic

As some of you may have seen in the BST forums, I am selling a complete washington quarters collection.

I would like opinions on the following option that I am considering because I am afraid it will take a while to sell the collection.

What I was thinking was to submit a bunch of the coins that are the "best appealing" from all 3 albums and then use proof set coins and raw coins that are not as good looking to replace them.

I have $1,400 invested in the collection.

Some of the coins with top mint state appeal that I am considering sending in are:

1946-S

1947-D

1948-D

1949-D

1953-D

1955-D

1957 (has nice toning)

1957-D

1958-D

1976-S 40% silver

1985-P

1998-D

All those Quarters are well struck, not cleaned, not scratched, nor have any wear. I Compared those to a 1979 MS68 PCGS I have and some of the quarters in the albums could very well be MS67 or higher.

The proofs I am considering submitting are:

1968-S

1978-S

1969-S

1974-S

They are all in great condition, very very minimal flaws. The lowest quality one is the 1978-S that probably won't get higher than PF66. All the others look like they could get PF65 or better.

Do you think that choice is better and more beneficial at the selling end? I will still be selling the albums 100% complete BUT after all the submitted coins are replaced, so I will still have a complete set plus some nice TPG'd coins.

Like I said, I have $1,400 invested in the albums. I would submit them to NGC using the Early Bird and economy tier. With shipping and insurance I am looking at around $300.00 in fees.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Dave

Unless you think you're going to "average" MS 66 I'd shop them around without spending the additional $300. There are just too many of everything mentioned out there to see a great return. The clad coins will especially disappoint.

Unless you think you're going to "average" MS 66 I'd shop them around without spending the additional $300. There are just too many of everything mentioned out there to see a great return. The clad coins will especially disappoint.

Eh, thats the only downside is that there are tons of them in the NGC and PCGS census.

Out of that list, if you could pick 6 coins to submit, which ones would you pick if any?

-Dave

I'd send in the oldest 5 coins and the toner. They are probably the most valuable of that group. Once you see actual grades from NGC that experience will help you make a better informed decision.

You can buy the clad coins in slabs on E-Bay for less that the Economy Price at NGC. Do Not ship them under any circumstance.

Quarters are my series... Do not send any of those coins in unless you are 1000% sure they are MS 66 and higher. Silver ones only. The clads are cheap. Pass on all those and the proofs.

Without seeing each coin specifically and individually, I simply would not get them certified. You would have to make some strong and scarce MS-67s to realistically come out ahead. Heck, I probably cracked out two dozen MS-67s for my album collection, so you might guess that even at that lofty grade, they are not necessarily a win-win situation.

Quarters are my series... Do not send any of those coins in unless you are 1000% sure they are MS 66 and higher. Silver ones only. The clads are cheap. Pass on all those and the proofs.

+1