• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP.....AU,UNC,or GEM BU for fun:)

12 posts in this topic

AU-62 to me. I can't believe how nice the reverse is with the traces of wear on the obverse...or my monitor needs a good cleaning.

edit: Viewed it at home on my better monitor and saw more wear than I thought initially. I absolutely agree with the slab grade of AU details cleaned though.

Grading Gold Indians from a photo is difficult.

Looks Au 58 to me. The coin shows muted luster but then it could be because of your lighting. Your description should have been AU or MS.

AU details,cleaned.I may have over paid $450.00 for it. I don't think it's that bad for being cleaned.

That grade makes perfect sense- luster is muted because it was cleaned. Prices for one of these in Au details cleaned is between $400 – $450 .

It is an AU, but it's the type of piece that could find its way into an MS-61 or 62 holder. The $5 Indian is one of the most difficult 20th century coins to find in strictly Mint State condition. When I was forming my first eight piece gold type set in the mid 1960s it was the one coin I could not find in Mint State.

I finally bought one that was "virtually" Mint State IMO. Years later I had a dealer send to PCGS during the "rattle holder" period. It came back as an AU-58. Later I cracked it out for an upgrade because of what I seen in other slabs graded as Mint State. NGC graded it MS-63. I later sold it for full MS-63 money. It don't make any sense to leave money on the table for someone else. (shrug)

Here is that coin.

19095IndianO-1.jpg19095IndianR-1.jpg