• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

History In Coins: Let's Talk About 1892/93

19 posts in this topic

There have been commemorative coins since ancient times. When the United States minted its first commemorative con in 1892 it was not an innovation as far as the rest of the world was concerned. But it was a precedent for us. Since its beginning the U.S. government had always issued medals for commemorative purposes. How, then, did the first U.S. commemorative coin come about?

Here is the timeline behind the approval of Chicago, Illinois as host for the World’s Columbian Exposition which brought about our first commemorative coin or “souvenir” as they were called in the early days in this series:

1893ColumbianCombo.jpg

On November 18, 1885 the first record of formal action looking to the commemoration of America’s quadri-centennial took the shape of a resolution adopted by the Directory of the Interstate Exposition, Chicago, on this date.

1886 – Early in this year a board of promotion was organized in New England, with a view of securing Congressional action in this direction. Ex-Governor Clafflin, of Massachusetts, was elected President of the organization; he at once proceeded to secure national legislation.

July 31, 1886 United States Senator Geo. F. Hoar introduced a resolution seeking the appointment of a joint congressional committee of fourteen to consider the advisability of holding a World’s Fair. His aim was to secure the of temporary and permanent buildings in Washington, D.C.

July 22, 1889 The city council of Chicago passed a resolution instructing the mayor to appoint a committee of 100 to induce Congress to locate the Fair at Chicago.

August 15, 1889 A corporation bearing the title “The World’s Fair, 1892” was chartered under the laws of the state of Illinois, with $5,000,000 capital.

December 19, 1889 United States Senator Cullom, of Illinois, introduced the first World’s Fair bill in the United States Senate. The House of Representatives took up the issue in late 1889 and

considered petitions from Chicago, St. Louis, New York, and Washington, D.C.

After eight ballots, Congress finally selected Chicago as the site on February 24, 1890, by a vote of 157 for Chicago, 107 for New York, 25 for St. Louis, and 18 for Washington, D. C.

February 24, 1890 Congress selected Chicago as the site for the Exposition.

April 4, 1890 The Board of Directors of the Exposition Company was elected by the stockholders.

April 12, 1890 The first meeting of the new Directory was held.

April 25, 1890 President Harrison signed the measure locating the Exposition at Chicago.

The President’s Proclamation:

WHEREAS, Satisfactory proof has been presented to me that provision has been made for adequate grounds and buildings for the uses of The world’s Columbian Exposition, and that a sum of not less than $10,000,000, to be used and expended for the purpose of said Exposition, has been provided for in accordance with the conditions and requirements of Section 10 of an Act entitled “An Act to provide for celebrating the four hundredth anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus by holding an International Exposition of arts, industries, manufactures and the products of the soil, mine and sea, in the City of Chicago, in the State of Illinois,” approved April 25, 1890.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States, by virtue of the authority in me by said act, do hereby declare and proclaim such International Exposition will be opened on the first day of May, in the year eighteen hundred and ninety three, in the City of Chicago, in the Sate of Illinois, and will not be closed before the last Thursday in October of the same year.

And in the name of the Government and the People of the United States, I do hereby invite all the nations of the earth to take part in the commemoration of an event that is pre-eminent in human history and of lasting interest to mankind, by appointing representatives thereto and sending such exhibits to the World’s Columbian Exposition as will most fitly and fully illustrate their resources, their industries and their progress in civilization.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF I have here unto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington this twenty-fourth day December in the year of our Lord one thousand eighteen hundred and ninety, and the independence of the United States the one hundred and fifteenth.

By the President: Benj. Harrison

JAMES G. BLAINE, Secretary of State

Enjoy Your Coins!

:)

I'm guessing it was probably well known that the construction couldn't be completed in time to start the fair in spring of 1892 once it was approved in 1890.

So they celebrated the 401st anniversary of Columbus reaching "America". I believe the original opening was planned for Oct 12th 1892, but I'm surprised they knew as early as April 1890 that they were going to miss it. (Government is typically over optimistic on setting deadlines.)

The dedication was October 1892, but even if they were ready to open, it would have been foolish to have it running through the winter. The Ferris wheel would have not been worth the 50 cent admission it cost to be 260 feet above the ground plainly exposed to the winter wind and lake-effect snow. The ice skating rink currently located on the foundation of the Ferris wheel (pretty much across the street from my daughter's dorm last year) would have been more appropriate, but hardly noteworthy.

1893_Col_Expo_Dedication.jpg

1893_Opening_Ceremonies2.jpg

BinghamColumbianObv.jpg

A Gregg Bingham coin

1892 mintage of 950,000 (Assay testing was done on several coins but the Assay Commission report did not list qty of Columbian Half Dollars received from the Philadelphia Mint). 1893 mintage of 4,052,105, 2,027 for assay, zero proofs, 2,501,700 melted, net mintage of 1,548,300.

Issued to celebrate the four hundredth anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. An International Exposition of arts, industries, manufactures, and products of the soil, mine, and sea, was held in the city of Chicago, Illinois May 1 – Oct 30, 1893.

lottoandcolumbus.jpg

The Lotto Portrait

These coins were to be designed by sculptor U.S.J. Dunbar, who prepared a plaster model of the Columbus obverse based on a 1512 portrait painted by Lorenzo Lotto. As he would so often do whenever outside artists were commissioned to design coins and medals, the U. S. Mint’s Chief Engraver Charles Barber managed to derail the Dunbar train and secure the project for himself. Barber’s portrait of Columbus was allegedly based on Olin L. Warner’s bust of the navigator which now resides in the Chicago Historical Society. This in turn had several European antecedents. None can be considered an accurate depiction of Columbus, as there are no known portraits of him made from life. Irascible as always, Barber clashed with the Exposition’s Board of Managers over the reverse, as well. He favored his own concept of the Western Hemisphere covering the entire reverse, but the Board was pressing for a depiction of Columbus’ flag ship Santa Maria poised over two hemispheres representing both Old and New Worlds. Proclaiming their design uncoinable, he retreated from further involvement with the half dollar’s reverse, instead delegating it to Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan. From that point onward, the work proceeded quickly. The first coins were struck on November 19, 1892, bearing that year of coinage. Additional pieces were minted later with the date 1893.

Very informative discussion. Thank you! Besides the US Mint commemoratives, this exposition produced a treasure trove of numismatic material. Here's a couple of my Columbian Expo items..

An unused ticket from "Manhattan Day," October 21,1893:

EXPO-1893.jpg

One of many medals to come out of this event... a very rare 1892 COLUMBIAN EXPOSITION - LANDING OF COLUMBUS medal in Silver (Eglit-112, NGC MS-64). This is a large, high relief medal in an oversize NGC holder:

1893-Eglit112.jpg

Beautiful medal!

Comment:

The reverse depicts Columbus setting foot in the New World. He is greeted by a Native American man and woman from the local Chamber of Commerce. While the woman holds her bow in readiness to shoot the intruder, the man reminds Columbus that the sign clearly says “Keep off the Grass” and also that his ships are double parked, and must be moved or they will be towed.

Both Native American’s have noticed Columbus’ resemblance to Donald Trump, and that he is carrying a flag for the 14th green. They hope he is not going to try and open a golf course in their neighborhood – that would reduce the property values.

The woman raises her arm in embarrassment on discovering that Columbus is wearing his underwear on the outside.

grovercleveland2.jpg

President Grover Cleveland opened the Exposition by switching an electronic key shortly before noon, May 1, 1893.

Flags unfurled, water flowed from fountains, the statue Republic was unveiled - and people rushed forward to enter the exhibition.

Origins of the World's Columbian Exposition can be seen in the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia event marked the first large-scale effort of this kind in the United States. As early as 1880, advocates argues that a special exposition should mark the 400th anniversary of Columbus sailing to the New World. By 1888, the movement gained enough momentum to begin being taken seriously by the public, and by government officials. Early on, St. Louis was a leader for the site location. By 1889, public opinion and individual efforts had mobilized enough support to launch the new exposition. Contenders for the massive exposition site included St. Louis, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D. C.

good lesson in history leeg, thanks

+1

+2

MJ

1892_First_Columbian_Letter.jpg

Certifying letter and check for $10,000 for the first coin minted, second coin struck, as the first had a minor planchet flaw. Purchased by The Remington Typewriter Company. Image courtesy of the Chicago History Museum.

U.S. Mint Records:

August 13, 1892

Wm M. Meredith, Esq.,

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Sir:

In preparing the dies for the new Columbian half-dollar it is essential that the engraver of the mint at Philadelphia should have a copy of the photograph of the Lotto portrait of Columbus, and I would be pleased if you could find it in your power to furnish this bureau with the same.

Very respectfully,

R. E. Preston

Acting Director

(293)

August 15, 1892

The Superintendent, U.S. Mint

Philadelphia, PA

Sir:

I transmit herewith a photograph of the Lotto portrait of Columbus, requested in your letter of the 8th inst., for the use of the engraver in preparing the dies for the Columbian half-dollar.

This is the same photograph used by Mr. Dunbar in making the plaster cast.

Very respectfully,

R. E. Preston

Acting Director

(294)

August 17, 1892

Hon. George R. Davis

Director General, Columbian Exposition

Chicago, Ill.

Sir:

I enclose herewith for payment the account of U. S. G. Dunbar for making the plaster model of the head of Columbus for the world’s Columbian Exposition souvenir half-dollar, amounting to $150.45.

This expense is properly payable by the Exposition as this office has no appropriation available for the purpose.

Very respectfully,

R. E. Preston

Acting Director of the Mint

(312)

August 17, 1892

Hon. George R. Davis

Director General, Columbian Exposition

Chicago, Ill.

Sir:

I send you herewith by registered mail, sketches of the designs for the Columbian Exposition Souvenir half-dollar.

I will thank you to examine the same and return with such suggestions as you may think proper to make.

You will be afforded an opportunity to consult with the Department before the designs are finally adopted.

Very respectfully,

R. E. Preston

Acting Director of the Mint

(313)

August 26, 1892

Hon. George R. Davis, Esq.,

Director General, World’s Columbian Exposition

Chicago, Ill.

My dear General:

On the 17th inst. There was sent you by registered mail from this bureau sketches of the designs of the half-dollar to be struck in commemoration of the World’s Exposition at Chicago.

You will understand that the portrait of Columbus in the sketch of the new coins was the one selected by the President of the World’s Columbian Exposition for the souvenir coin, being recognized by experts as nearly authentic as any in existence, and that the model in plaster was made under the direction of Mr. Wm. E. Curtis by Mr. Dunbar, a sculptor of this city.

Enclosed herewith I send you a copy of the medal that is being made by the Spaniards to commemorate the Exposition at Madrid, cut from an illustrated paper, and loaned me by Mr. Wm E. Curtis. I will thank you to return it at your earliest convenience.

If the head which has been suggested in the sketch sent you is not satisfactory, possibly the head upon this medal could be used.

As it will take a long time to prepare the dies and strike 5,000,000 pieces of half dollars I would suggest that you give this matter prompt attention.

You will please understand that the Department will be governed entirely by the wishes of the World’s Columbian Exposition people, but it is high time that something definite was being accomplished in the matter.

Very respectfully,

E. O. Leech

Director of the Mint

(345/346)