• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay counterfeits

26 posts in this topic

Counterfeit, yes or no? click

Checked the NGC cert ... and of course it doesnt have a picture, but this just looks ALL wrong. The included NGC cert included was "before it was broken out of it's holder" :whistle:

The coin looks genuine to me. I will also add that the seller is Jeremy Katz, a well respected numismatist from across the street, and I have no doubt that if the coin was counterfeit, he would not sell it.

What I dont understand is why would you break it out and then show the grade label,that just does not make sense!!

There are some collectors who break coins out for their albums - I personally deplore the practice and would rather create a virtual album myself, but the practice still exists. The seller frequently accepts eBay consignments, and I would bet that this coin was consigned to him. I see no problem with including the label although eBay might not see it that way.

Completely legit. I 2nd all the stuff Kenny said, and Jeremy Katz (the seller) takes consignments for some really nice items. He's on my short list of what I would consider one of the best.

Checked the NGC cert ... and of course it doesnt have a picture, but this just looks ALL wrong. The included NGC cert included was "before it was broken out of it's holder" :whistle:

The reason you hear crickets is because you're incorrect.

The coin looks genuine to me. I will also add that the seller is Jeremy Katz, a well respected numismatist from across the street, and I have no doubt that if the coin was counterfeit, he would not sell it.

I would say "....and I have no doubt that he would not knowingly sell a counterfeit coin".

Anyone can make a mistake. But the coin looks unquestionably genuine to me. And Jeremy, the seller, is incredibly conscientious and probably makes fewer mistakes than most.

The ear, eye, and mouth look odd.

Are you serious??? BTW Many EAC guys love raw coins still. Most are not in holders.

Are you serious??? BTW Many EAC guys love raw coins still. Most are not in holders.

yes I serious.

I do not collect the series and would not know better. But I also thought the coin may have been tooled just by looking at the eyes and mouth. Just for the fun of it I am checking some pics to educate my self in case I ever do get the half cent bug.

What part was I incorrect on?

That Mr. Katz is doing something unethical and deceptive, and certainly is not involved in anything counterfeit, as the title of your thread suggests.

He is a well respected numismatist and eBay seller, and would not knowingly be involved in any questionable selling practices.

yes I serious.

What's your experience with the Draped Bust 1/2 cent series?

The is genuine, but I would not grade it AU because it has too many marks. I'd down grade it to EF because of that, and as a collector I would prefer an EF with fewer marks over a net graded AU.

As for the issue of cracking out early copper, I'd never do it. It is really hard to get early copper coins into slabs. I've learned that the hard way. The EAC dealers have plenty of raw coins for you to buy if you want a raw coins. Of course you will have to pay EAC prices, but since this is an 1806 C-1, which is probabaly the second most common Draped Bust half cent variety (behind the 1804 C-13), the EAC premium should not be that much.

That Mr. Katz is doing something unethical and deceptive, and certainly is not involved in anything counterfeit, as the title of your thread suggests.

He is a well respected numismatist and eBay seller, and would not knowingly be involved in any questionable selling practices.

JStull,

I am sorry if your read the title that way, but it was never my intention to accuse the lister of this coin of passing on a counterfeit (you might reread the title which suggests multiple coins plus my initial post where I ask "yes or no").

My original intent was to illicit comments from the community as to identifying questionalble eBay submissions. Lets face it, a broken out label is a big flag (again, not accusing anyone of doing anything here) where some sellers have subsituted lesser grade coins or counterfeits. While I dont see this particular coin as a counterfeit the story is rather suspicious. If the lister recieved the coin on consignment as such, and as the coin photograph is absent, he would be working on faith alone.

Wendy.

JStull,

I am sorry if your read the title that way, but it was never my intention to accuse the lister of this coin of passing on a counterfeit (you might reread the title which suggests multiple coins plus my initial post where I ask "yes or no").

My original intent was to illicit comments from the community as to identifying questionalble eBay submissions. Lets face it, a broken out label is a big flag (again, not accusing anyone of doing anything here) where some sellers have subsituted lesser grade coins or counterfeits. While I dont see this particular coin as a counterfeit the story is rather suspicious. If the lister recieved the coin on consignment as such, and as the coin photograph is absent, he would be working on faith alone.

Wendy.

I think your description is still off. Is it wise to use caution (especially) when buying raw coins on eBay? Absolutely. Is there anything remotely suspicious about this auction? To me, absolutely not. As I stated before, I tend to leave coins in their slabs, but there are many collectors who prefer raw coins. Some actually like to see the edges (before the edge view prong holders) and some just like to hold the coin and have it free of its plastic tomb. I don't see anything inherently suspicious about it. As commented, however, I don't like that the piece is marked up and I would not purchase it as such. I still don't see anything wrong with the description or practice.

Edited to add: This is all reinforced by the seller whose images I have found to be quite reliable in the past.

JStull,

Wendy.

There is no other interpretation of the title of this thread other than what it states:

eBay counterfeits

Your initial post contains only one link to an eBay listing from someone many of us know of, and have a high regard and respect for as an honest numismatist and eBay seller.

Your initial post:

And yes, you are making accusations, and the seller did mention this coin was in a slab, and was broken out of the holder, and the label is to show what NGC graded the coin, not to deceive anyone.

I think I will be ending my open comments on this board .... there is just too many derisive people on it whom apparently are eager to attack others and refuse to accept personal explanations and apologies. It is not in my nature to personally attack people nor is it to accept unwarranted character accusations.

I do appreciate those who openly shared their knowledge and thoughts, but especially Mark Feld, Bill Jones, HiHo, Dooly, Conder, BRG and Yarm, you are truely a wonderful gift to this board.

Good luck to all with your collections, and best wishes in your hunt for that next outstanding specimen.

I think I will be ending my open comments on this board .... there is just too many derisive people on it whom apparently are eager to attack others and refuse to accept personal explanations and apologies. It is not in my nature to personally attack people nor is it to accept unwarranted character accusations.

I do appreciate those who openly shared their knowledge and thoughts, but especially Mark Feld, Bill Jones, HiHo, Dooly, Conder, BRG and Yarm, you are truely a wonderful gift to this board.

Good luck to all with your collections, and best wishes in your hunt for that next outstanding specimen.

Since you mentioned me by name, I will ask that you reconsider and stick around here.

As you already know, It can be fun and educational. And each of us communicates and reacts to things differently.

Wendy, I do hope you stick around these parts. I enjoy your company and posts. Don't let the few ruin it for you...