• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealers/Collectors, When someone buys a coin from you, do you thank them?

31 posts in this topic

I recently bought a very expensive coin from a well known dealer recently. It cost me a good amount and I had to make two installments. The entire time, from the tone of his emails, he did not seem happy selling the coin. I recieved the coin recently and there was a basic invoice with no note or anything.

For those who have bought form me, I always write a thank you by hand and it is also typed at the bottom of the reciept.

So I ask other dealers and collectors who sell. Do you thank people for buying from you? Whether is be a $20 coin or a $20,000 coin?

Or is it that some feel it is a privelage for being able to buy from them?

Ankur

There is always a written "thanks" at the bottom of the Great Collections invoices.

If/when a client emails or calls me to let me know he is buying a coin I have shipped, typically I thank him for the business. But I usually don't write anything on my invoices, etc.

I am satisfied with it. But a little courtesy goes a long way in my book at least.

I agree. And courtesy includes accepting how other people behave, provided it is not immoral, and acknowledging that everyone is a different person from yourself.

It is not courteous at all to demand or expect someone else to abide by your set of personal standards.

I am satisfied with it. But a little courtesy goes a long way in my book at least.

I agree. And courtesy includes accepting how other people behave, provided it is not immoral, and acknowledging that everyone is a different person from yourself.

It is not courteous at all to demand or expect someone else to abide by your set of personal standards.

That's funny. Last I checked, saying please and thank you are taught to us as children. It's not exactly a "personal standard" for me but I guess it is for you.

It's like saying its not your personal standard to say bless you when someone sneezes.

I don't even check the invoices to see if there is a thank you on the bottom. The coin is thank you enough for me. And if I pay in installments, which I have done, I am the one doing the thanking. Just my view as a collector.

That's funny. Last I checked, saying please and thank you are taught to us as children. It's not exactly a "personal standard" for me but I guess it is for you.

Seriously? When exactly was the "last time you checked"? And where exactly did you check? Who was the authority you consulted with? Is it a law? Is it in the Constitution? Do your neighborhood covenants require it? Was such a rule enacted by municipal officials in your hometown?

I have never seen a set of rules stating that parents MUST teach their children any particular set of manners.

Now, do I think they should? Of course I do. And personally, do I believe in manners and saying "thank you"? Of course I do.

Will I expect or require that of the people I deal with? Not until I move to a communist country.

Why be so judgmental of others? I think setting a good example of courtesy (as you did) was the gracious and humble thing to do. (It's also the best way to teach your children.)

It's like saying its not your personal standard to say bless you when someone sneezes.

Funny, this is my personal standard!! I don't particularly care for any of the possible origins of the sentiment (click here for more info) and furthermore I find it a little presumptuous to assume that someone needs or wants my blessing.

I do think that a little manners goes a long way and that being courteous to others will come back 10 fold over time. I also think that expecting anything too rigidly will only lead to disappointment in the end.

The more a dealer thanks me the more I worry that I paid too much.

Personally I prefer deals where as the buyer I'm doing all of the thanking !

I thank everyone that buys a coin from me, I place a small note in every coin I ship with a thank you on top of the email. I also thank every seller I buy from(sometimes not thankful later). I have always been taught this was just good manners.

Jim

I thank everyone that buys a coin from me, I place a small note in every coin I ship with a thank you on top of the email. I also thank every seller I buy from(sometimes not thankful later). I have always been taught this was just good manners.

Jim

(thumbs u

I always try to thank people I buy coins from . It's a two way street if you treat people with respect then you'll you will get the same back .

n saying that I only deal with one or two dealers so they know me pretty well by now , And still keep selling to me lol

At the conclusion of a smooth and mutually beneficial transaction, I always thank the other party and give them a firm handshake if it's a face to face transaction. It's a common courtesy and good business to be polite to someone that you may want to do another transaction with in the future..

I'm not a dealer, but I have sold several coins on the BST forum here and on the PCGS boards. I always thank people who buy coins from me; I truly appreciate their business.

+1.

I always thank customers when they buy a coin from me. On Ebay I always write "Thank you for your business, I hope the coin meets your expectations." on a packing slip.

Even who someone doesn't buy a coin from me a show for example. If they take the time to browse my display cases, I always tell them that I appreciate them taking time to look at my coins and I am sorry I didn't have what you were looking for. Sometimes that person circles around and then ends up buying a different coin from me.

Communication plays a big roll in how your customers view you I guess.

-Dave

I usually have a hand written note of thanks in with the coin

I also been known to forget things too ... :makepoint:

I find it very interesting the different levels of interactions from various dealers. Some dealers are reading a newspaper and do not even acknowledge your existence. I figure if they are too busy to even look up, I can move on as well. While other dealers will go out of their way to say “hello” of something such as “what can I help you find”. While this is my personal opinion, I am way more apt to look at a table where the dealer is friendly vs. the dealer that has his nose buried in the newspaper and does not bother to look up. BTW, I am usually dressed in Dockers/etc so I am not an unshaven bum with smelly clothes so no profiling going on with me, I don’t think.

I always say thanks when I sell a coin and when I buy one. For that matter I say thanks no matter what kind of business I'm doing. To be honest, I rarely get a thanks or you're welcome back.

I buy something from a store I say thanks, they say nothing. I get my hair cut, I tip them and say thanks, the girl puts my tip in her pocket and walks away. OK, so I'm not big on tips :) but when they walk away, I don't come back. And I thought my parents raised me right and drilled this stuff into me. This society says they didn't. No wonder I'm all screwed up!!!!

I typically do not include a handwritten note in any shipment of coins and I do not think a standardized, pre-printed "Thank you for your business" statement on the bottom of an invoice qualifies as a true thank you. However, I do believe that I tend to thank folks for information, for kind words, for their time and for their business whether buying a coin from them or selling a coin to them. This extends to writing such in emails or PMs as well as stating such at shows and shaking hands.