• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins With Toning

Toning  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Toning

21 posts in this topic

I voted "yes," but I will qualify my answer. It depends on how one defines "beautiful toning." If you are referring to pleasant but not spectacular, common toning, I probably wouldn't pay much of a premium for it (if any). If however, the toning is what many collectors refer to as "monster" toning is that displays vibrant, bright (and natural) colors, then yes I would pay a premium, especially if it is uncommon on the issue. I have paid a 20% premium at times, and I have paid premiums much higher than that as I suspect that many other board members have as well. Eye appeal is the most important factor in grading for me, and in selecting coins for me.

Here are a few examples of coins that I have paid a toning premium for; some of them I paid less than 20% (such as the toned St. Gaudens which I think I paid 5% over the going rate at the time of purchase), and others I have paid much more for (such as the Peace Dollar).

NGC MS63* - Peace Dollars are difficult to find with attractive rainbow colored toning. The photographs are very accurate, and the coin is delightful in hand when the luster makes a lot of the colors "pop" when rotated in hand.

1923PeaceDollarCombined.jpg

Consignments59012.jpg

PCGS MS62 Trime

18074386_m.jpg

NGC 63 St. Gauden's Double Eagle - Gold coins rarely tone. Even though the toning is slight, it is quite rare (or at least scarce) for the issue.1923StGaudensCombined.jpg

In a lot of cases a 20% premium wouldn't even get me in the ballpark for the toned coins I buy.....usually the premiums start at around 100% and go up exponentionally from there (thumbs u

Here are a few examples of coins that I have paid a toning premium for; some of them I paid less than 20% (such as the toned St. Gaudens which I think I paid 5% over the going rate at the time of purchase), and others I have paid much more for (such as the Peace Dollar).

NGC MS63* - Peace Dollars are difficult to find with attractive rainbow colored toning. The photographs are very accurate, and the coin is delightful in hand when the luster makes a lot of the colors "pop" when rotated in hand.

1923PeaceDollarCombined.jpg

Consignments59012.jpg

PCGS MS62 Trime

18074386_m.jpg

NGC 63 St. Gauden's Double Eagle - Gold coins rarely tone. Even though the toning is slight, it is quite rare (or at least scarce) for the issue.1923StGaudensCombined.jpg

A very subjective question. For instance in the examples presented by coinman_23885, I would pay above market for the trime and the St. Gaudens but not for the Peace Dollar. Because, subjectively, I do not find the Peace Dollar as "beautiful" as the other two examples.

Carl

A very subjective question. For instance in the examples presented by coinman_23885, I would pay above market for the trime and the St. Gaudens but not for the Peace Dollar. Because, subjectively, I do not find the Peace Dollar as "beautiful" as the other two examples.

Carl

He raises a great point here to keep in mind in you are contemplating paying a premium for a toned coin: Remember that the "toning premium" if any can be highly subjective? Keep this in mind when purchasing. Buy what you like, but always be cognizant of the reality that when it comes to selling, others may not like something as much as you (or at all).

A 20% premium may be far too little to pay for really nice coins.

He knocked it out of the park as usual. MJ

I'm pretty sure I paid more that 20% on this one.

10c-1821.jpg

Crazy? Probably. :o

Don't care either.

jom

I replied with a yes but as others have stated: Depends on the coin, grade, lustre, etc.

1958DRoosieObvB.jpg

20%? lol !

As others alluded, I've paid WAY WAY WAY more than that premium for toning in my time.

As an example, I had a raw toned proof Ike dollar that was worth, oh, close to $3 full retail (at the time). What did I pay? SIXTY DOLLARS. That's something like a 2000% premium.

By the way.... I sold it for ONE HUNDRED dollars, or a 3000+% premium, to a dealer, and he did get it into a slab (but I can't remember if it was NGC or PCGS). I can only imagine what the premium is on it now.

Like Shane, James and a few others have said, 20% isn't even in the ballpark. Therefore, I didn't vote.

Chris

I placed what I thought was a fairly competetive bid (IMHO) on this toner which is currently up for auction at Heritage's summer FUN auction. I've already been outbid (but I'm still not quite sure if I'm out of it YET)

20% ????? You do the math!!! :)

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1172&lotNo=9322&lotIdNo=11023

1884otonerobv-horz.jpg

Last toning premium I paid was for a couple Roosevelt Dimes. Ended up paying 41 times price guide or a 4100% premium.

Cheers!

The question is really too general to give a "yes" or "no" answer. I prefer undipped coins to dipped coins, and will pay more for ones that I find attractive. I don't pay "moon money" for toning.

"Original" (undipped) is not no always attractive. It can be ugly too. Therefore toning can go both ways.