• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1793 Carlos IIII, Peru 8 Reales -- GRADE POSTED

15 posts in this topic

I recently picked up an 1806 Mexico 8 Reales here on the boards from member TwoKopeiki. I have always wanted to own one of these early American "dollars", and that example did not disappoint -- I have admired TwoKopeiki's 8 Reales set for a long time! That piece got me interested in the portrait series as a whole, and I very soon thereafter found another example that I thought I just couldn't live without. :)

Below is a 1793 Carlos IIII 8 Reales, minted at the Lima, Peru mint. It resides in a problem-free PCGS holder, and exhibits what I think is very nice toning. I couldn't completely capture the coin's surfaces because of the slab, but it has a nice patina/skin, with some glints of luster peeking though. The obverse is framed in a ring of pinks, blues, and a bit of gold. The reverse exhibits almost every color of the rainbow, and I love the glimmering blues behind the central shield.

Give a shot at what you think the holder grade is. :)

1793_8Reales_Peru_colorful_obv.jpg

1793_8Reales_Peru_colorful_rev.jpg

I want to give it an AU so badly, but I just see enough rub to unsettle me. AU-50* or XF-48*+

AU-55.

I know it's in a PCGS holder, but that should * in an NGC holder without a second look. It's get phenomenal eye-appeal (at least in your pictures it does).

edit: cheating.

I want to give it an AU so badly, but I just see enough rub to unsettle me. AU-50* or XF-48*+

I know it's in a PCGS holder, but that should * in an NGC holder without a second look. It's get phenomenal eye-appeal (at least in your pictures it does).

It has even better eye appeal in hand. The entire reverse is irridescent, with greens, blues, oranges, pinks, etc. :)

Also -- I appreciate the grades, but feel free to view this custom set and revise your grade guesses if you'd like. I think you are both mistaking "rub" for a pretty typical soft strike on these issues. :)

Those other coins i linked to are not mine... But they are helpful for gauging grade. They belong to TwoKopeiki.

Those other coins i linked to are not mine... But they are helpful for gauging grade. They belong to TwoKopeiki.

oops,they are a great looking set also!!!

I guess the coin has been graded Mint State, but I see no luster on the highest points of the bust on the obverse and flatness that looks like wear, not a failure to fill the die via a weak strike, in those areas as well. My grade is AU 53. The reverse in better, but the obverse has more influence on the overall grade.

The thing about PCGS is that they were grade coins before they have the expertise available to them to do it properly. Just as anyone who saw the early attempts PCGS made to grade pre-federal and colonial coins, and you will know what I mean.

I'll give you all part of the story -- it is NOT in an MS holder -- but it is also not in an XF holder. :P

OK, know very little about the series, but I do know what I like .... and this is magnificant!

My guess as to grade would be AU-58 as I see one rub on the upper portion of the left column. It's not very noticable since your eyes are drawn to the blue center. As normal, your eyes may vary ... :popcorn:

Wendy

I'll give you all part of the story -- it is NOT in an MS holder -- but it is also not in an XF holder. :P

So my initial gut of AU seems pretty spot on. :wishluck:

This is the highest graded example of the 1793 LIMA-IJ 8 Reales that has been graded by either PCGS or NGC (there is also one AU58 graded by NGC). It is graded AU58, and as you can see, the color is very pleasing.

I think I got a very good deal on this coin, and I'm happy to add it to my 20/20 custom set for "orphan" coins that don't fit into any of my other more-defined sets. :)

127426.jpg.dd99aae694e9666ab68ca49339e2af25.jpg