• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1947 pds mint set

58 posts in this topic

I just bought the 1947 mint set in mint cello. Just wondered why the price is so high on it?

If this is the question you ask after you buy something, this hobby probably isn't the place for you.

I have no idea on a set like that. ANY silver mint set is rare if original and so, very costly.

Pictures (and more info) will help solve this riddle.

Seeing those pics, I am going to go out on a limb and say that those are certainly 1947 P-D-S coins, but they weren't part of an original US Mint issues mint set from 1947.

Ie....they were put together at a later date...using 1947 coins from rolls/circulation (even if BU, coins meant for circulation).

In 1947, the official US Mint issued mint sets were in cardboard holders with colored "tissue" paper, and included 2 of each issue (hence the "double mint set" naming they have).

Btw.....if you bought on ebay, I would likely return them.

If you bought from a store or dealer at a show, I would be careful buying from them in the future.

I am going to guess you are somewhat new....I suggest you read a lot of the posts here, and older posts, before buying things like this moving forward....there is a lot of fraud and a lot of trickery out there and it is good to protect yourself.

Btw.....if you bought on ebay, I would likely return them.

If you bought from a store or dealer at a show, I would be careful buying from them in the future.

I am going to guess you are somewhat new....I suggest you read a lot of the posts here, and older posts, before buying things like this moving forward....there is a lot of fraud and a lot of trickery out there and it is good to protect yourself.

+ a million.

You can fairly easily assemble a generic BU "mint set" of these coins for less than $100. The reason the mint set is $1500 "in book" is because, as was mentioned, it's a double set...meaning TWO of every coin minted at each mint...and it came in a cardboard holder.

Genuine sets, issued by the mint and completely intact, are quite rare. Even many sets contain "substitutes" for the coins that were originally included.

paid under 500 book price is 1500

If you paid under $500 for that, you should return it to the seller as that is not an OGP 47 set.

They didn't use cellowrap back then, that didn't come into use until the late 50s.

FYI, "book price" is not an accurate reliance. Tracking completed sales on different online auction sites such as Heritage, Teletrade, and eBay would give you a better idea what things are actually selling for.

However, since you relied on a "book price" guide, the value of $1500 for the 47 PDS Mint set is for one that is in OGP, Original Government Packaging. Not for one that someone took circulated examples of and cellowrapped.

A little more research would go a long way for you so you don't make this kind of mistake again in the future. Next time, it could cost you much more than you're into for this item.

To the OP:

I would also suggest, since you're new to the hobby, that you buy and read this for starters:

2013%20Red%20Book%20U.S.%20Coins%20Spiral.png

Many collectors consider this to be bible to coin collecting.

Interesting!

Now the OP is trying to retail his set on eBay for $1349 BIN, and the auction starting price is $1049.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-PDS-UNC-in-mint-cello-with-envelope-/320928047994?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4ab8cd637a#ht_500wt_1361

Even after we mentioned this is NOT Mint cellowrap, you advertise it as such.

Interesting!

Now the OP is trying to retail his set on eBay for $1349 BIN, and the auction starting price is $1049.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-PDS-UNC-in-mint-cello-with-envelope-/320928047994?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4ab8cd637a#ht_500wt_1361

As others have mentioned I am fairly new to this, I made a mistake. I changed my listing. The only thing worse than a mistake is your slander. Watch what you say buddy!

Interesting!

As others have mentioned I am fairly new to this, I made a mistake. I changed my listing. The only thing worse than a mistake is your slander. Watch what you say buddy!

Don't take the frustrations of YOUR mistakes out on someone else.

If you did list it as he said, then it isn't slander. Though, that's an easy word and threat-laden word to throw around at folks, isn't it?

Since you know about eBay, you should be able to do a search and see what real mint sets look like.

Most people consider mint sets as those coming from the mint. They have yellow envelopes and light green cardboard with a tissue flap. Frequently after 20+_ years, the coins develop cool patina.

Good luck in your sale.

Interesting!

Sir, your set is worth maybe $100 depending on the grades of the coins. You won't come anywhere close to $700.

Interesting!

Sir, your set is worth maybe $100 depending on the grades of the coins. You won't come anywhere close to $700.

What's worse is that, if someone is fooled into thinking this is something it is not, and is convinced to pay the $799 that it is priced at, they will have been wildly ripped off charged far more than they could have been....

meh

To the OP:

I would also suggest, since you're new to the hobby, that you buy and read this for starters:

Many collectors consider this to be bible to coin collecting.

this is a very good start to your collecting :)

I hate to tell you, but that is not a US Mint Set. What you have is simply a random assemblage of coins that someone placed into plastic sometime recently. The real US Mint Sets of the era were not only placed inside of cardboard holders, but had colored paper glued to one side of the holder and folded over to cover the other side. For 1947 there would be three cardboard holders with each holder containing two coins of each denomination from the respective mint; one board for P-mint, one board for D-mint and one board for S-mint coins.

You have a privately produced year set placed into plastic and heat sealed. It will be valued by most according to the quality of the coins enclosed, which tends to be less than wonderful on most of these sets.

Interesting!

Let's see if we understand this correctly:

You come here claiming you paid near $500 for a 1947 PDS set and could not understand why the price was so high. I tell you the big reason why because the Mint produced only 5000 of those sets in 47.

Then you post a pic of the set you bought and it turns out that it's not an original PDS set in OGP, but a set of 1947 coins from the three Mints, in cellowrap; which as I stated was not used in coin sets by the Mint until the late 50s.

You then turn around and list the set on eBay for ridiculous money, $1049 starting bid on auction and $1349 BIN price. Even after you were told by several of us that your set is not an original PDS 47 Mint set in OGP.

So uhmmm, where's the slander: to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone?

As I said, start here with the numismatic bible and learn something about U.S. Coins.

Interesting!

Youre kidding right? :facepalm:

The seller can list the coins at any price he wishes. The text clearly says it's not a U.S. Mint set and refers to the Guide Book.

The error was made and corrected.

The seller can list the coins at any price he wishes. The text clearly says it's not a U.S. Mint set and refers to the Guide Book.

I think Kenneth wants to know if the OP is kidding about the accusation of being slandered.

I think Kenneth wants to know if the OP is kidding about the accusation of being slandered.

No, I was amazed by his angry response.. as in... dude, your kidding right???

No, I was amazed by his angry response.. as in... dude, your kidding right???

The angry response is typical because he found out basically he was ripped off on this set.

My astonishment was accusing me of slandering him, and it's obvious he doesn't know the meaning of slander.

I wonder if he picks up on the definition I provided in my response to his idiocy?