• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice find on a dusty consignment shop shelf by John M. Robinson II

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Since I found an airtight sealed GSA soft pack 1887 O Morgan. I have to take it out of the air-tight packet BEFORE I send to NGC, correct?

Ok, I really already know the answer to that question.

I visited my favorite consignment shop last friday to pass some time looking over some of the Mint and Proof sets that are abondante, at a great price. While there I noticed a blue envelope with the words--United States Silver Dollar--thinking it was an Eisenhower coin, I passed on it and continued my coin purging.

For some reason, I revisited this blue envelope and after some careful examination, I discovered it was a GSA issued Morgan; 1887-O. Not in the best of shape but, still a GSA Morgan. The dealer was seeing the coin only as a poor example of a Morgan and wanted $3.00 over current silver price.

Getting home, after buying the Morgan and a good looking Kennedy, Franklin and sets of both types of issue, I did some quick research on the GSA Morgan. I learned that the term to use was--- GSA issue; soft pack. There is also a GSA hard pack but, I did not research that aspect.

The real question I have is what is my next step: Do I send it to steight to NGC for certification; with all papers and blue envelope that shows a Gold GSA seal? Or, since the coin was sealed-- as is -- and is not the prettiest Morgan, should I send to NCS (with all material)first, and then on to NGC?

Below is an image of the GSA 1887-O.

Best wishes and to those that it applies; Happy Fathers' Day

Semper Fi,

Jack

11548.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

If I am correct they will grade it but not take it out of the plastic. Don't open it etc until others chime in. Honestly leave it in the plastic it came in, piece of history right there

If you remove it from the original packaging, there is no proof it was in the plastic.

DO NOT OPEN IT! Even PCGS requires it to be in original packaging to grade it GSA.

Jack

Whatever you do do not break your coin out of its pack. There is a premium attached to the coin in the soft-pack that would be lost by just the coin alone. NGC certifies these coins in their packs and encases them coin and all into a clear plastic holder. Follow this link for all the details involved with soft-pack certification:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/gsa-soft-pack.asp

Gary

Great find Jack, You don't find those anymore on any shelves.

Ditto on Gary's reply and keep the papers and envelope at home. Just send the "sealed" plastic package.

Thanks guys for your tidbits of information. I truely appreciate your comments.

Gary, I reviewed the the site that you suggested. I am amazed and impressed as to how detailed and quality controlled NGC is in regards to of the GSA Soft-pack (and other coins in similar packing). It reminds me of the days, in my other life, as a museum curator and Historian researcher.

As I have said, in previous posts, thanks for the education. I learn a great deal from this site and posts.

Semper Fi !