• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about ebay/paypal payment request

30 posts in this topic

Hi all . just got this request through from a usa winning bidder and i have never had it requested like this before .. anyone know why he would request a "not ebay" invoice ?

Dear alnwickandamblepestcontrol,

Hi, please send me a paypal, not ebay, invoice or a paypal payment request or your email paypal ID so I can get this paid. If you need my ID it is:

he needs to know how to pay via PAYPAL

if your PAYPAL is not linked on eBay, it will not give it, and your eBay email address may not be where you want your PAYPAL sent

Go to paypal, there's a "request money" tab on the top (third from left). Then you can put in the buyer's email address and amount to be charged, and he will get an invoice.

Just make sure you check the box that says "payment for eBay purchase".

well got this message today from the bidder

Hello again,

On the day I won this auction, I sent you a message asking if you can send me a paypal invoice, payment request or email me your email address that you use for paypal, so that I can PAY you.

I have not heard a thing back, nor have I seen a payment request or a paypal invoice.

I would like to pay for these sometime soon. I just hope you are out of town and have not received my messages. I would hate to have to leave anything other than 5-star positive feedback.

my note on the item

You sent the buyer an invoice on 23-Jun-12 specifying the total payment amount

? whats going on ?

he needs to know how to pay via PAYPAL

if your PAYPAL is not linked on eBay, it will not give it, and your eBay email address may not be where you want your PAYPAL sent

hi .. if you look at my sales you will see a map with hundreds of world transactions .. and never had this before

well got this message today from the bidder

Hello again,

On the day I won this auction, I sent you a message asking if you can send me a paypal invoice, payment request or email me your email address that you use for paypal, so that I can PAY you.

I have not heard a thing back, nor have I seen a payment request or a paypal invoice.

I would like to pay for these sometime soon. I just hope you are out of town and have not received my messages. I would hate to have to leave anything other than 5-star positive feedback.

my note on the item

You sent the buyer an invoice on 23-Jun-12 specifying the total payment amount

? whats going on ?

This is absolutely ludicrous. The buyer doesn't pay e-bay fees, why should he care if the invoice comes from e-bay. The e-bay invoice is auto generated where as you have to complete a paypal invoice manually. I use paypal invoices for BST transactions only.

If I were you, I would e-mail him back and provide him with the instructions for how to make paypal payment for an e-bay purchase quoted directly from the e-bay site.

E-Bay How to pay for an item

I would also send him an e-bay invoice even though he asked you not to send one. Finally, I would politely request that if he is unwilling to remit payment using an e-bay invoice that he agree to cancel the transaction. If he agrees, relist the item and block him.

There really are all kinds in this world. What a jackwagon!

I guess it is possible that they are trying to pay with a PAYPAL acct not tied to the eBay account that won the auction. I would just do what they want and make sure I sent to a confirmed PAYPAL address.

Five years ago, the way they are trying to do it was how it worked - have they purchased much in the last few years? I am guessing they have hit resistant sellers like you, but do not get negative feedback now.

yes it seems daft to me as well .. I sent him all the invoices and email .. and guess what he said .. I am away at the moment and will not be paying until after the 28th !!!!

:screwy:

yes it seems daft to me as well .. I sent him all the invoices and email .. and guess what he said .. I am away at the moment and will not be paying until after the 28th !!!!

:screwy:

If your terms of payment don't allow for that amount of time for the buyer to pay for the item, you now have a claim you can file with eBay for the transaction to be cancelled.

Check it out it got even stranger last night with this bloke..

Hi there,

You got a double payment from me, and the second one you got was the correct one. I left a note on the second payment. Paypal says you have to refund the first in order to cancel it. So, please refund me the first payment that you received and keep the second one.

I used the wrong credit card the first time, and that card is maxxed out and will only end up not paying in the first place.

Thanks and have a great day.

Then this one on the paypal payment

Hi dooly I had to cancel the original payment request because you mentioned ebay in the note. Any transactions done through ebay buyitnow or auction wins must be done through paypal, and can have no mention of ebay in them, as per the agreement I agreed to when I settled out of court with Ebay.

WTF.. :pullhair:

Hi there,

You got a double payment from me, and the second one you got was the correct one. I left a note on the second payment. Paypal says you have to refund the first in order to cancel it. So, please refund me the first payment that you received and keep the second one.

I used the wrong credit card the first time, and that card is maxxed out and will only end up not paying in the first place.

Hi dooly I had to cancel the original payment request because you mentioned ebay in the note. Any transactions done through ebay buyitnow or auction wins must be done through paypal, and can have no mention of ebay in them, as per the agreement I agreed to when I settled out of court with Ebay.

13.gif

yikes, I would be concerned about credit card chargebacks or claims of non-delivery - and would cancel both payments and start a transaction refund request from eBay for non-payment.

But it would depend on value of item sold, and whether you are willing to lose the item with cost of shipping / ebay fees.

I would be very careful. It is possible that he is attempting to pay with a PayPal account not linked to his eBay account, which might not even be his. I can see a third party claiming that he/she never authorized the transaction, meanwhile, you have already mailed the coin out. I would tell him to pay through the eBay invoice, or agree to cancel the sale. To be frank, I don't believe eBay allows him to leave feedback until his has paid, but check into this.

Well contacted ebay and paypal today and they told me to cancel the transaction as it was well dodgy..

did that then got this through on my private email

Actually, Paypal has the SAME policies as ebay, or I wouldn’t use it. So what advice you have been given is not entirely accurate, but that is up to you. I recommend looking into Paypal more and READING ALL of their policies and procedures. Now I HAVE to leave negative feedback for the transaction.

-SH2011

great eh !! :sick:

Well contacted ebay and paypal today and they told me to cancel the transaction as it was well dodgy..

Actually, Paypal has the SAME policies as ebay, or I wouldn’t use it. So what advice you have been given is not entirely accurate, but that is up to you. I recommend looking into Paypal more and READING ALL of their policies and procedures. Now I HAVE to leave negative feedback for the transaction.

-SH2011

And you should have a better position than that buyer for eBay to remove that neg.

-SH2011

So, I was right about it being a scam? Regardless, I don't think he can leave negative feedback for you unless he has actually paid for the item; thus I think he is bluffing. I wouldn't let it bother me, but I would call eBay back and let them know about his claim of retaliatory feedback. At the very least, this should be a violation of their terms and conditions, and eBay may impose some sort of "disciplinary" measure against him such as an unpaid buyer strike, account suspension, or if repeated, expulsion from the eBay community.

Hi there,

Based on this new information he is clearly a scam artist or a nut job, or more than likely, both.

Morning people .. thanks for the input .. well got up to this email .. its better than starting the day with a cup off coffee :)

I was a bit tactical last night and cut and pasted his email from my personal one and sent it back through ebay with a note form me .. just so they could see it when i call them about the feedback .. seems to have worked.

Dear alnwickandamblepestcontrol,

A charge back? What kind of people are you used to dealing with????

When I buy or win an auction it is for my own personal soldier collection. I have no intention of ever returning the items or trying to get a refund. My card is a debit card, so charge backs are not possible in the first place.

Are you always this paranoid of your customers?

And the comment about using your email address. That had NOTHING to do with ebay. It was a receipt sent by PAY PAL to MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and all I did was reply to it.

In the future, I suggest you READ a buyer's feedback profile before assuming they are out to hurt you or your business.

In any event, I feel wrongly accused and I am left without the soldiers that I WON. Negative feedback will be left!

-SH2011

- soldierheaven-2011

Love it .. i was sure he said he used a credit card !! and i love the check my feed back he has 17 lol

looks like buyer id is soldierheaven-2011

a solid plastic toy soldier / cowboy and indian buyer since Dec-19-11

lot in question

$(KGrHqN,!g0E-8sG8DnfBP0J7CS0L!~~60_58.JPG

Dooly, your Debit cards are a little different than ours but in this country, you can charge back to a debit card, I have had it done several times with vendors who did not send what I thought that I ordered.

Dooly, you Debit cards are a little different than ours but in this country, you can charge back to a debit card, I have had it done several times with vendors who did not send what I thought that I ordered.

So that was another porky pie from him as he is in the US !

If you look into it, he is trying to extort you sending him the item for good feedback, this is something you can report to EBAY. Seems in the last month I have had about 5 non-payers. As many as the last year, A real pain in the butt either requesting to cancel the transaction or get payment. I give the 4 days required and start the process.

I heard that Ebay sellers can use PayPay. It is a kind of service that allows sellers to accept credit cards for online auction transactions. Sellers never see the buyers' credit card numbers, so buyers have no fear of sharing that information with unknown sellers.

This has been going on for a number of years now.

PayPal is not limited to a credit card either. You can attach a bank account to your PayPal account for payment as well, and again the seller does not see the account information. Only your PayPal account info.

I think any time you get a request for something off beat it terms of an offer to pay outside of eBay it is a red flag and proceed with caution.

I believe it is a TOS violation to misrepresent eBay and Pay Pal policies to either a buyer or seller and these can be reported (even though it is not likely to produce results). Anytime in life when someone starts quoting a policy or regulation that seems at odds with your common sense just ask them where you can find it to read it, what their citation is and that is the end of 90% of it, (This also works wonders when someone claims to have data- just ask them when you can view it which of course you seldom can because it does not really exists and they are just speaking from anedotal experience if even that.)

That all sounds like scams within scams to me- I always have to remind myself some collectors are more "mental" than us run of the mill ones that are just sort of mental. One of my good friends wants to get me on the Hoarders show. Anybody that wants to bill themselves as a plastic toy soldier hoarder I'd watch out. Who knows if their credit cards are over limit, bank over drafted, multiple accounts- who knows and who wants to find out.

My next round of selling I am going to require immediate payment via Pay Pal, no multiple items discount offered (although I may give on to prefered customers) - and there people that don't bank their cash for many reasons- I had one buyer that always paid cash- normally I don't like that but he would always throw in a $20 or $50 "tip" just to say thanks to his buddies he said and write just "IRS."

Also never underestimate the lengths some people will go to to rip you off for even $10- You get the hoarder mentality and they feel entitled to the goods because they have so much ego involved- And the criminal will spend hours trying to con someone out of a few dollars when they could easily make more asking for spare change. It's a high the criminal gets.

I have had people pay twice by mistake and I have paid twice by mistake so it happens. But never issue a cash refund against a credit card charge.