• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping options

9 posts in this topic

I try to ship via my usps express account or priority mail when available. I don't like registered/insured. It is slow and there is no way to know when the package will arrive. I have never had a security issue with usps express; I have had many cases recently where the package is delivered in two days because the cut-off time was not met (3pm in most cases).

I have told NGC to ship via express every time. Recently I did not mark the form submitted specifically re: my express account and the order went registered/insured. I don't understand this because my account is set-up for automatic express shipping.

Also, three coins or less you need to ask for a smaller package because this is not automatic. It makes a $10 difference for an express. With PCGS they are worse; packages get shipped in a heavy plastic box so you are paying $35 for an express in most cases, even for one coin!!! Unbelievable that the services have not come up to speed on efficient shipping process. It is highly unlikely that a certified coin is going to get damaged in a small container shipped priority or express.

USPS express is cheaper than FedEx in my experience. I have never seen a rigorous discussion of these issues on the usual forums.

Priority is just as good if you can do so with an external insurer, but there is a $5K limit through Ship and Insure.

In general:

All of them are at pretty safe.

Overnight is the fastest and most costly, $5K Insurance limit. Tracking not that good but it should be there overnight.

Express is the next fastest and also costly, $5K insurance limit. Same comments on tracking. Probably get there before tracking is updated.

Priority insured is probably the next fastest, you are basically talking First class mail, Fairly cheap with flat rate boxes, probably cheaper than UPS or FedEx. $5K insurance limit. Riskier than Overnight and Express simply because it is in transit longer. Tracking moderate

UPS and FedEx, speed varies with distance but they are quick. Cost is higher than Priority Insured. $0 insurance limit. Neither UPS nor FedEx insures coins, even collectible coins. It is right there in their terms. If you claim a value and don't tell them it is cons you will pay the insurance fee but if you have to make a claim and they find out it was coins all you get is your insurance fee back.

Registered mail. Absolutely the safest way to ship but also the slowest. A bit costly, but once the declared value gets above about $800, it becomes cheaper than Priority insured and the higher the declared value the bigger the price advantage becomes. (I believe you can send a $5K Registered package for about the same cost as a $1K Priority insured package.) Another advantage, $25K insurance limit. Online tracking is variable. I've had good experiences with it but there are many complaints that that theirs were not updated until it gets delivered. In house tracking on the other hand tends to be very good because Registered mail has to be signed for every time it changes hands so they have a record of every person who handled your package and the last person to sign for it is the one held personally responsible. For that reason NO ONE wants their name to be the last one and they are careful to make sure the next guy signs for it. It may be slow but it WILL get there.

Regi

Thanks for that overview Condor. With an external insurer, UPS' failure to cover coins is moot. But still I prefer priority for efficiency. Ship and Insure's box in a box requirement for coverage limits options somewhat. Still the flat mailer is a good deal and may be covered...

With an external insurer, UPS' failure to cover coins is moot.

True, but most of us probably don't have an external insurer.

"Ship and Insure" is an easy system to set up. One hitch: you have to pay $100 plus a year for the NACA membership. A corporate account with the USPS gives you a lot more flexibility with options.

It is something the way PCGS sits on packages an extra day when an order is done in the morning. They say they are so busy, that is their rationale. Oh really? There is no excuse in 2012 for inefficiency in this department. I also found CAC and other companies make excuses why expresses don't go out when they have been asked by noon. It takes them less than a minute to put your coins in the USPS or other free packing box/mailer, and with your corporate account number it just has to be put in the mail stream somewhere by 5pm. What is the problem here??? The only way these people will change their hide bound behavior is if people complain regularly on forums like these or suffer economic loss.