• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Longer Top 10 posted by CBC

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I didn't expect it to last forever

When I made my last post, I had just achieved a Top 10 ranking in all of the circulation strike Walking Liberty half dollar categories. I said at the time I was sure it wouldn't last. So congratulations to mkm4mkm who recently bumped me out of the #10 spot in the full set listings (by 26 points!).

My only collecting action in the last six weeks was the Heritage auction the first of June. I won one Walker (a 1946, NGC MS-67) and a couple of PF-70UC silver eagles. THe Walker is pictured below.

Interesting that the Mint has sold about 125k two-coin sets of the San Francisco Silver Eagles in the first week. Last October, they sold out of 100k five-coin sets in less than eight hours. Taking the limit off of the mintage seems to have reduced the interest (speculation?) in the coins. I haven't ordered any of the new sets - the price looks high for "unlimited" mintage coins. By the time you add postage and NGC grading fees, I can probably do just as well buying them already graded later this year. We'll see.

Congratulations to the new #10 (mkm4mkm) and good luck to the rest of the Society.

11534.jpg

See more journals by CBC

CBC,

I commend you for taking your displacement from the top 10 with great humor and class. We have seen others that brood and rant over similar situations. \Numismatics is not a competitive event, it is a fellowship of brothers and sisters enjoying a journey across oceans and throughout history.

Later,

Malcolm

I kinda know what you're talking about. My sacagawea sets are all top 10. My proofs are at 5, my mint state and satin mint state are both at 6. Although I'm still trying to move up (mostly a matter of pictures) I think everyday about someone bouncing me back. I hope my attitude is as good as yours. Thanks. :cool:

Oh well, don't sweat it too much. You had a taste of the top 10 for a while and what does it really matter anyway?

I'm way down the registry list for my basic type set, but I wouldn't trade any of my listed coins for some of the dreck that's in some sets above mine (plus I won't include moderns). So, phooey to the rankings!