• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grease spots

2 posts in this topic

I have a very nice (at least choice Unc.) walker half that has 4 very small but quite distracting grease spots. A couple of them stand right out on what is otherwise beautiful lustre. Looking through a 10X glass it appears the spots were probably on the planchet before striking. Have you had experience with this situation? What is your advice??

Thanks very much; Ed

BTW: You have performed real miracles on three of my copper proofs.

It is tough to evaluate coins without actually seeing them. I can give you some thoughts based on your descriptions. Only general statements can be given. Every coin and every spot can have a different set of circumstances which will have an effect on its conservation.

Problems that were present before the coin was struck typically can not be helped with our conservation. If the grease was present before striking, it is a struck-through. Struck-throughs typically will not be removed through our efforts. Struck-throughs were present when the coin was a planchet and were made a part of the planchet during the striking process. There are, however, exceptions to this generality.

Spots deposited on the surface of a coin striking can often be helped with conservation. We have had great success with spots similar to what you describe on coins in the past when the residue was left long after the coin left the mint.

Chris, NCS