• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheerios Dollar (Prototype Reverse) for sale (less than 100 certified total!)

1 post in this topic

This is it, the big one. Only 5,500 of these "Cheerios" Dollars were possibly minted and less than 100 are known to exist within the numismatic coin collecting community.

I have one graded MS 67 by NGC. It includes the original Cheerios packaging that it came in, along with the cent (graded MS 67 RD NGC) that came with it. I have the whole bundle listed on eBay currently for $7,200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320921558817

...but I'd prefer to sell it to someone here. All serious offers will be considered. In April one of these in an identical grade sold on eBay for $7,500 (completed listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item46032cffb7&item=300700991415&nma=true&pt=Coins_US_Individual&rt=nc&si=MV7rdg2Mp8zfW%252BtydKrjD%252Bfb3WU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc ).

Pics of my coin for sale:

1654859_Full_Rev.jpg

1654859_Full_Obv.jpg

For those of you who don't know the awesome history behind this coin...

Cheerios agreed to put one in every 2,000 boxes to help promote the new golden Sacagawea dollars back in 2000, but because of the manufacturing lead time needed for the cereal boxes, the mint had to strike these in late 1999, before the dies had been tested and finalized. The reverse features a unique prototype design with boldly detailed tail feathers, as opposed to the smooth tail feathers used for all business strikes. When I spoke to Tom Rogers (designer of the reverse), he said, "the feathers were changed to smooth due to reduction rings wiping out the detail in the dies". To date, less than 100 prototype reverse examples have been found and certified across both NGC and PCGS.

PMs and emails (alandistro at gmail dot com) welcome.