• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Error coin? #2__ 1944-S by John M. Robinson II

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Two MS Error Coins from same dealer and he did not catch either of them?

Below are images of a 1944-S MS Jefferson Nickel that I purchased at a small Flea Market in Northern New York.

I mentioned this coin in my most recent post in regards to a 1922 D Cent that I found that also has a possible mint crack/ridge. This coin also has a really nice NT on Obv and rev.

I hope the below images are clear enough to get opinions from more experienced Error coin collectors. Any comment will be welcomed.

Best wishes and Semper Fi !

Jack

11498.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

Thanks Rick,

As you know, I am pretty new at coin collecting and very new at distinquishing Mint Error coins.

Thanks for your comments.

Does the FMV of a coin increase due to being an error coin (die cracks)? I also took the time to checked the NGC variations for the 1922-D and there is no mention of this type of die crack. The same goes for the 1944-S Jefferson.

I plan on submitting the Jeffersons that I obtained and the 1922-D Lincoln Cent, first to have conservation done and then over to get officially graded.

Best wishes,

Jack

Jack, I would rethink sending the Jeffs to NCS for conservation. On the one you show here the rev. appears to have nice NT which does often command a small (or large) premium depending on the look of the toning. If the obverse is just as nice you might have a winner especially as it appears to have booming luster.

Also, personally I would not pay a premium for a nickel with die cracks as they are readily available (except maybe for a crying Jeff - die crack running from just under eye down cheek, or a nice example of the $ sign Jeff-die crack running midway thru some of the S minted coins). At least 30% nickels in my set have die cracks to varying degrees.

JMHO - Doug

Hello Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the Obverse has a similar NT. The other two Jeffersons that I purchased at the same time, 1945 S & D, also have nice NTing.

I am not too experienced in Error Coins so, I did not know that they are as common as you mentioned.

As you suggest, Die Cracks are nice but, NTing is even better.

Best wishes,

Jack

Hello Jack -

I agree that conservation isn't really a great idea on the Jefferson. You'll lose all that wonderful natural toning and it won't be worth it in total cost. Anything pre-1970 is fairly expensive, as you pay for conservation and then you'll pay for grading.

I also would agree that die cracks generally do not sell for much of a premium, unless they extend the entire distance across the coin or spider out from a die failure.

Just my humble opinion!

I like both coins though - thanks for sharing them.

Todd