• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spending spree

6 posts in this topic

Spending spree!

Don’t tell my wife!

I received got a new credit card with 12 months no financing- very dangerous in the hands of a coin addict! I decided I would use $1200 for coins and pay off $100 per month. I went over my budget, about 1320, but I filled some holes in my proof and type sets and got some good prices on several certified coins! It can be amazing what can be won at auction when you can set a bid and not worry about will it go over my budget (well, within a $1200 budget)

For the first time in my collecting career I am actually going after mainly the key dates first for my Washington Quarter set. In the past I have filled in sets with the more common dates first. But I figured if I was going to go on a spending spree I would want to make it count.

Although I would love to collect certified MS63/64 Morgan dollars that is just not a realistic long term budget reality. Since I really like the Morgans, I decided I would try and fill an 1891 to 1921 Dansco book with AU and lower grade MS coins for the common dates and affordable circulated coins for the tougher dates. Of course there is not an affordable (for me at this point) coin in the key dates- 1893 S, 1894, 1895 S and 1903 O. But that is down the road- I can still enjoy the Morgan series at this level of collecting.

My registry rank is down to 648, but at this level it does not stay in one ranking spot very long, so I will enjoy breaking the 650 mark for a few days until someone knocks me back up.

So here is what I won on my spending spree:

PCGS

1932 D WASHINGTON QTR AU53

1937 S WASHINGTON QTR MS64

1938 WASHINGTON QTR MS65

1945 S WASHINGTON QTR MS65

1949 WASHINGTON QTR MS66

1969 S Proof Lincoln Penny PF68DC

1997 S Silver Proof Kennedy PF69DC

2009 S PROOF DIME PF70DC

2010 S SILVER PROOF DIME PF70DC

NGC

1913 TYPE 1 BUFFALO NICKEL MS64

1936 S LINCOLN PENNY MS66RD

1947 JEFFERSON NICKEL MS66

1950 D WASHINGTON QTR MS66

2009 S PR SILVER PROOF QTR PF70UC

2009 S NM SILVER PROOF QTR PF70UC

RAW

1880 O LOWER GRADE MS MORGAN

1902 O LOWER GRADE MS MORGAN

1903 S FINE MORGAN

1892 CC GOOD MORGAN

Congratulations on your new purchases, but I would caution you against using credit cards to finance your collection. It is so easy to become trapped, especially when the teaser rates end. Good luck.

Congratulations on your new additions, but I join the others in the warnings about credit cards. I buy coins with discretionary cash, and even then I feel guilty. I can't imagine the guilt I would feel if I was buying on credit.