• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 Bust Half Dollar

16 posts in this topic

The O-107a is a very elusive die state of a fairly common die marriage. I have seen numerous Intermediate Die States, and many of them are labelled 107a according to PCGS or NGC - but how many true 107a's are there, with all of the die cracks listed in Overton? Who is in charge of establishing rarities, and who do we contact to get this rarity revised? I propose, based on what I have seen (and a thorough research of Stacks, Scotsman, and Heritage auction archives) that this is probably an R-4 at least, possibly greater. What has been your experience with the O-107a?

With all of these questions - here is my new O-107a. This is a true late die state - every crack is present. Note the two cracks from above star 7 - one to the front of the headband, one to the top which continues across to star 10. The crack from star 11 goes all the way down, through the date, across the bust, up through the left stars, and back to the headband. Thus, this coin has 3 distinct die cracks, including the chipping at star 1 that is called out in Overton.

Guess the grade if you want.

IMG_9198copy.jpg

IMG_9213copy.jpg

I love the coin, but hate the scratched holder. It is definitely worth the $10 to have it reholdered with your next submission. Congratulations on the nice pick up!

In terms of grade, I would call it XF 45 personally, but wouldn't be surprised if the coin found itself in an AU50 holder.

I love the coin, but hate the scratched holder. It is definitely worth the $10 to have it reholdered with your next submission. Congratulations on the nice pick up!

I'm not a member of PCGS, but the next time I send a submission to NGC, it might make the trip.

It seems to have considerable luster and light rub on the high points. It should grade no les than XF45 and no more than about AU53. It is very hard to tell without seeing the luster in person.

IMG_9198copy.jpg

IMG_9213copy.jpg

I think 45 is very generous and I believe 50 is out of the question. Here's a 50 from my set.

Below that is a typical 45 from a different year and a 40 at the bottom.

I'd say you did very well!

Lance.

905a9b3f.jpg297b081a.jpg

567601d0.jpg4c72234e.jpg

66a72eb1.jpg6a8ae05b.jpg