• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - War Nickel

8 posts in this topic

Since Roger posted a thread about the War Nickel composition, I thought it might be fun to do a GTG on the subject. Here, for your viewing pleasure, is one of my recent purchases. Guess the Grade!

127020.jpg.f6a158711e3cee33694ff207c1fe54a2.jpg

127021.jpg.99b6c71c5e01f3efb0c023916d41fa5f.jpg

Strike looks abit soft, is this a DDO? Looks like I see doubleing on the lettering but I cannot tell if its just strike doubleing or not. I say ms64, MS65 if its a DDO.

Strike looks abit soft, is this a DDO? Looks like I see doubleing on the lettering but I cannot tell if its just strike doubleing or not. I say ms64, MS65 if its a DDO.

Good eye. There is a bit of hub-doubling on the obverse. There is doubling on the Master die for the year, so all coins have a minor DDO. Additional doubling is pretty common, and I'm not sure if it is an additional variety.

Good guesses everyone. The is graded NGC MS-66, with a Star for semi-prooflike fields. In hand, it is unquestionably almost-PL, but the large patches of die polish above Monticello prevent it from getting PL.

Jason, is it as blue in hand as the pictures make it look? I personally love the die polishing lines on this one, as they are mostly parallel. I don't like when die polishing lines are "scratchy" looking or perpendicular to one another.

A very pretty nickel! (thumbs u