• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I do ok on these commem's?

8 posts in this topic

I don't know much about the market of the newer commemorative coins but I saw them at my local estate sale place and thought I'd pick them up. I purchased the 1986 $1 S, $.50 S, and the 1987 $1 S for $20. What is their composition? Thanks for any info!

Rob

You did well, both dollars are silver but the half dollar is a copper-nickel clad, so in just bullion value you made out like a bandit. The collector's premium of all three pieces (unless slabbed at very high grade) is not very much over bullion with the Constitution (1987) Silver dollar worth the most.

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't think they are fake and if they are the store owner wouldn't have the foggiest idea anyway as he is more into estate items than coins.

Edited to add:

I bought a 1921 Peace from this guy for $60 in VG condition, I'm not going to completely educate this guy as he has access to ebay etc to check prices.. and I know he's making a few bucks on each coin he gets in.