• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctions Sells Record Breaking NGC MS68RD 1983 Double Die Reverse Lincoln Memorial posted by hunter's gold

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The price has really gone up

Hi everyone. I was following tonight's Heritage Coin Auction Live and follow this particular coin the NGC MS68RD 1983 Double Die Reverse. NGC only grades 9 at this level with none higher. It is one of the biggies in a Lincoln Memorial registry set. The last example that sold at a major auction is the example I own now. To be honest I bought my example from the person who had bought it from Heritage and had it in his collection for a few years until I bought it about July last year. I did pay a little more than what the original buyer bought it for but not nearly as much as the example that sold tonight for $6000 and with buyers premium add on another $900. So now this example is at $6900 before tax and shipping. Yes it is a necessary coin for your set but you still have to be smart with you money. I will leave you with a picture of the reverse from my coin and then on the chat boards and picture of the one from tonight's Heritage Auction

11440.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

Hard to imagine this coin to be worth that much and I agree we do have to be smart with our money. Auctions have a propensity for people to overpay if 2 or more are interested. I see this on Ebay all the time. I'll look up a common item that sells for $4-5 on the last 20 transactions - a bidding war ensues and before you know it the item is at $8 - double the previous average.

I like your example better, by the way!

Todd

WOW what a price realized. That is double value for doubling right??

I got a 1995 DDO MS68 this week and after seeing it in hand I decided I will get some pics this weekend to show here and send it to TPETERS to add to his set. That will be around 16 of my pennies that went into his set which is close to the amount of his dimes that went into my set.

Hunter your DDR is a nice clean looking top pop.